Board logo

anyone used a VAG 1.8 20v turbo?
john_p_b - 19/10/11 at 02:52 PM

it's just a case of curiosity at the moment to be honest as i'm a little bored but i've got a serious soft spot for these engines after having my mk1 octavia vrs for a couple of years and couldn't fault the engine at all. just wondered if anyone had done it and how much hassle was involved with finding a gearbox to mate up to it and what management was used etc.

adithorp - 19/10/11 at 03:02 PM

I know of one in a GTM Libra, mated to a DSG 'box (VAG never put them together). Don't think it was easy getting the can-bus on the engine and 'box to talk to each other. It's ballistically quick though.

Russell - 19/10/11 at 03:05 PM

Yes, but mid engined so I'm using the transaxle out of the donor Passat. I'm also using the OEM ECU with the immobiliser defeated, although I would be interested in any other ECU options (except QPENG, which doesn't seem to support knock sensors).

mcerd1 - 19/10/11 at 03:09 PM

how about this one:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3004

Hector.Brocklebank - 19/10/11 at 04:21 PM

Hi

You might wish to check out a tiger sports cars dealer they do a kit to mate a vag engine to a uprated type 9 box if your looking to use one in a RWD config, not cheap but looks like it will do what you want it to.

vag engine to type 9 box

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 19/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Jimbob - 19/10/11 at 11:37 PM

sorry for the hijak but if you go ahead and want an engine i have one for sale with only 15k under its belt

john_p_b - 20/10/11 at 06:19 AM

£1200 just to mate a gearbox up to it before you even get started really then. ouch! i still love the idea of using that engine as imo they're a great engine but i'm now thinking it's a bit out of my price range

Hector.Brocklebank - 20/10/11 at 06:49 AM

Personally I would make my own bell housing up from steel plates, one plates template taken from a vag box, second plate made to bolt to a short shaft type 9.

Get a vag/audi non-dual mass flywheel install it on the crank, and put a suitable spigot bearing in the crank too, bolt each plate to the respective parts (box/engine) slide shaft of box into the bearing, line everything up checking run out with a dial indicator and inclinometer, to make sure everything is in line and level.

Then temporarily weld bracing rods to make a "bell housing-frame" shaped to allow clearance for the cover & and friction plate, this way you can see what your doing on the next pars, and start scouring for vag/audi cover plate that will mate to a vag non dual mass flywheel, and possibly use a sierra diesel friction plate.

with frame you can then see to play with spacers for a suitable hydraulic clutch actuator, and with an audi starter. once all these variables are sorted out you then "cover-in" said bell housing with thinner steel plate, weld it all up, grind and paint it.. jobs a good un.

I reckon it could be done for about £300.00 on parts if you took the time and effort to do it, with a used starter and your own time etc. With the will (and a little skill) it could be done cheaply.

Or if you had a AC/DC tig set you could mate a cut vag bellhousing to type 9 with little trouble and a bit of milling and welding

[Edited on 20/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

laptoprob - 20/10/11 at 06:59 AM

Anyone know the total height of one of these engines?

mgmiller - 20/10/11 at 07:00 AM

I did a Viento with a 1.8T engine code APX (out of a TT) a couple of years back.

It will cost considerably more that a ford engine to install.

Adaptor plate was 800 euros with cutch and spigot bearing. I used a MT75 box as they are cheap and strong enough for about 300BHP.

Intercooler and pipping will cost you close to £1000 as you cannot use the original equipment.

I used the original audi one, with a phase one tune (about 270BHP) and the immobiliser removed. But it would be just as cheap to purchase a aftermarket one and save yourself a lot of hassle in figuring out the wiring and what sensors are required and what ones you can get ride of. I spent a month getting the Audi ECU to run correctly.

The engine is tall so clearance with bonnet/road may be an issue.

Cheers

Mark

franky - 20/10/11 at 07:23 AM

why are the above engines so far forward in the engine bay?

mcerd1 - 21/10/11 at 07:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
why are the above engines so far forward in the engine bay?

this one ?
Description
Description

all the tigers are like that (doin't ask me why)