Board logo

sourcing zetec e timing belt
mrwibble - 1/11/11 at 09:39 PM

Hi guys, anyone recommend a source for cambelts, haven't tried local motor factors yet, but from ebay it looks like a £75 item.

Also any difference between black top and silver top cambelts.

cheers guys, Ed.

DixieTheKid - 1/11/11 at 09:49 PM

DO NOT SPEND £75 on a timing belt! Even Burton Power are knocking them out for around £30

Black Top Link

Silver Top Link

I " think " the lengths differ?

[Edited on 1/11/11 by DixieTheKid]

mrwibble - 1/11/11 at 09:54 PM

ok ... is it the fact the ebay ones include new idler pulleys that they're so much more expensive, haynes recommends changing these as a matter of course, but then haynes says a lot of things...

DixieTheKid - 1/11/11 at 10:06 PM

On i see, yeah i dont know how much they cost.... would for though closer to the 50£ mark for a kit.

focijohn - 1/11/11 at 10:08 PM

I spent the money on a full kit... belt, idler, tensioner and bolts. You really want to be thinking at 6500rpm maybe I should have changed the plastic guides.......
It only takes another 5 mins to change the guides once the belt is off too many times you hear of guides failing after a belt change.
IMO, do the lot, its done and dusted.

ETA - I got mine from the loacal motor factors... I get discount there so prob doesnt help alot

[Edited on 1/11/11 by focijohn]

DixieTheKid - 1/11/11 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by focijohn
I spent the money on a full kit... belt, idler, tensioner and bolts. You really want to be thinking at 6500rpm maybe I should have changed the plastic guides.......
It only takes another 5 mins to change the guides once the belt is off too many times you hear of guides failing after a belt change.
IMO, do the lot, its done and dusted.

+1

Thinking about it - 1/11/11 at 10:15 PM

u2u sent