Board logo

Zx6r carbs help
J222jra - 8/5/13 at 05:48 PM

Hi guys...me again.

My Danst zx6r to xflow conversion has arrived but I have questions lol.

There's seems several pipes and I have no idea what they do....if anyone can explain I would really appreciate it.

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/J222jra/image_zps838ec807.jpg

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/J222jra/image_zpsf8c9e9b4.jpg

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/J222jra/image_zps4facd0dc.jpg

Also in this picture....is this the choke mechanism?

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/J222jra/image_zps97f62192.jpg

Really would appreciate any help guys.

James

jimmyd - 8/5/13 at 06:45 PM

I believe pictures in photo bucket to be,
pic1 to be fuel in,
Pic 2 to be water heater,
pic 3 coke
Pic 4 fuel overflow.

J

whitestu - 8/5/13 at 06:59 PM

Yes, picture 4 is the choke.

The only pipe you need to use is the fuel inlet in picture 1. The rest can be binned.

Stu

J222jra - 8/5/13 at 07:13 PM

Thank you for the replies guys!!

It all seems to make sense now.

puma931 - 8/5/13 at 08:22 PM

I have the same carbs on my xflow. I used a classic mini choke cable plus a reduced sized bicycle cable end to fit into the carb choke mechanism.

puma931 - 8/5/13 at 08:39 PM

Forgot to say, block the water hose on the manifold, and connect the 4 vacuumed hoses together and then to the vac on the dizzy. I had to file some of the holes on the manifold to get it to fit and you might need to port the manifold to your head. Only fit the air filter once it is running, as my carbs pissed out fuel the first time I started it which damanged some of the foam. Take a look at my photos for further details and links to threads.

[Edited on 9/5/13 by puma931]

J222jra - 8/5/13 at 09:30 PM

Thanks for the details Puma. Is the water connection not needed on the intake manifold then?

I'm running a H&H dizzy so don't have a vacuum connection on it.

puma931 - 9/5/13 at 08:08 AM

I blanked my water connector, but you could also pumb it into the rest of the cooling system. I need mine setting up on a rolling road as it splutters when you throttle it.

How much was the H&H dizzy? I heard they build the dizzy for the engine size and spec??

quote:
Originally posted by J222jra
Thanks for the details Puma. Is the water connection not needed on the intake manifold then?

I'm running a H&H dizzy so don't have a vacuum connection on it.

J222jra - 9/5/13 at 09:34 AM

Yes mate so I hear they are build with the engine spec in mind. Not sure of cost as it came with an engine I bought off the forum.

Think I'm going to blank the water hole in the inlet manifold.....seems a little pointless keeping it, will keep the engine bay less cluttered as well.

How did you make your throttle and choke cables?

dave_424 - 9/5/13 at 09:39 AM

Choke cable form a mini choke cable, needs to be a rigid push/pull cable.

People usually make a throttle cable from bicycle brake cables, but on ebay there are universal throttle cables in various lengths.

puma931 - 9/5/13 at 10:05 AM

Throttle cable was from the same bike as the carbs and I also bought a classic mini choke cable.

quote:
Originally posted by J222jra
Yes mate so I hear they are build with the engine spec in mind. Not sure of cost as it came with an engine I bought off the forum.

Think I'm going to blank the water hole in the inlet manifold.....seems a little pointless keeping it, will keep the engine bay less cluttered as well.

How did you make your throttle and choke cables?

FASTdan - 9/5/13 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by puma931
Forgot to say, block the water hose on the manifold, and connect the 4 vacuumed hoses together and then to the vac on the dizzy. I had to file some of the holes on the manifold to get it to fit and you might need to port the manifold to your head. Only fit the air filter once it is running, as my carbs pissed out fuel the first time I started it which dramatic some of the foam. Take a look at my photos for further details and links to threads.

I have since revised the plate profile so all future plates/manifolds should locate without issue - however if anyone finds otherwise please let me know.

puma931 - 9/5/13 at 12:18 PM

Hi Dan, Any idea why the engine will splutter/die when you apply some throttle? Starts fine with some choke, but does not idle very well (has new leads, plugs etc that are connected correctly)?

Cheers

Mathew

quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:
Forgot to say, block the water hose on the manifold, and connect the 4 vacuumed hoses together and then to the vac on the dizzy. I had to file some of the holes on the manifold to get it to fit and you might need to port the manifold to your head. Only fit the air filter once it is running, as my carbs pissed out fuel the first time I started it which dramatic some of the foam. Take a look at my photos for further details and links to threads.

I have since revised the plate profile so all future plates/manifolds should locate without issue - however if anyone finds otherwise please let me know.

FASTdan - 9/5/13 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Hi Dan, Any idea why the engine will splutter/die when you apply some throttle? Starts fine with some choke, but does not idle very well (has new leads, plugs etc that are connected correctly)?

Hi,

Refresh my memory - what carbs etc? Are they still on the standard jetting?

puma931 - 9/5/13 at 08:13 PM

LC race car fitted with 1.3Xflow and ZZR600 carbs with standard jets.

quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:

Hi,

Refresh my memory - what carbs etc? Are they still on the standard jetting?

FASTdan - 10/5/13 at 09:44 AM

have you played about with the idle mix screws to address the idle issue?

Spluttering and dying on revving is likely a jetting issue - I cant recall what the standard jet size is in the ZZR's but it is likely to be small.

maccmike - 10/5/13 at 09:55 AM

Check the pilot screws under each carb behind the float bowls, I suspect its running v rich.
turn them clockwise until gently seated, then back out 2 turns.
Start engine, turn idle p to about 1500 revs.
Adjust pilots 1/4 turn at a time waiting for engine to respond.
You want the fastest idle without hesitation - if the pilots stop effecting idle you've gone too far.
If the pilots make no difference to revs at all, the idle jets are blocked or wrong size.

[Edited on 10/5/13 by maccmike]

maccmike - 10/5/13 at 09:58 AM

also, kwaki carbs are very sensitive to airbox's.

davidimurray - 10/5/13 at 10:34 AM

Sounds like the problems I had with blocked idle jets. See my previous post here :-

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179282