Board logo

Engine Choices??
sammini7 - 18/11/17 at 05:37 PM

Hi guys

I am in the process of selecting an engine for my Locost build, these are my choices and i would love your feedback:-

1) Honda K20A
2) Ford Zetec ST170
3) Ford Blacktop 2.0 Zetec
4) Ford Duratec ST150 2.0
5) Ford Ecoboost 1.6
6) Ford Ecoboost 2.0
7) VAG 1.8T

Cheers

Badger_McLetcher - 18/11/17 at 06:23 PM

Been over this recently looking at engines for my Dolomite. This is what I came up with in research:

Out of that lot I'd go for the ST150 duratec because it's light, relatively cheap to get hold of, has a RWD gearbox and clutch options that bolt on and are pretty tuneable.

The VAG 1.8t is a good lump but you'd have to get an adapter plate made up to marry it to a rwd gearbox, not a world ender but a faff when other engines are just as good IMO. Same with the K20A.

Ecoboost engines are meant to be pokey, fuel efficient and have a bolt on RWD option, but the aftermarket engine management is insanely expensive at the moment. I think you may be able to use an original ECU, but there'd be a hell of a lot of electickery involved in getting it to work.

Zetec and blacktop are, on paper at least, just not as good as the Duratec.

Hope that helps some

big-vee-twin - 18/11/17 at 08:06 PM

Duratec nuff said

[Edited on 18/11/17 by big-vee-twin]

SPYDER - 18/11/17 at 08:14 PM

If I was starting over I would choose the VVTi "BEAMS" version of the Toyota 3SGE motor found in the Lexus Altezza RS200.
Comes ready with a superb 6 speed box and 210hp. Titanium valves and 8000+ revs.
Not the cheapest solution nor the lightest but ready to go in RWD format.
I do have a penchant for Toyota. I have the earlier Rev3 version of the 3SGE in my car which was a PITA to convert to RWD.

Ugg10 - 18/11/17 at 08:21 PM

what about the F20 Honda in the s2000, expensive to start with and quite tall but comes pretty much ready to go.

craigdiver - 19/11/17 at 08:50 AM

BMW 6-cylinder - ready to go with factory getrag box - lots of torque.

sdh2903 - 19/11/17 at 10:49 AM

Depends on your budget really and your preference for Forced induction or N/A.

I built a 2.0 ecoboost car and can say your probably 4k minimum. But for that you do get a nearly new engine with 250bhp and nearly 350ftlb. The low down torque gave huge giggles but is a handful. Ecus are starting to be easier available. The ford racing ecu comes ready mapped and with everything to run including loom and electronic pedal. It would also give 35-40 mpg even when driving like a knob. Mx5 mk3 box bolts straight up.

Out of the ecoboosts I would say the 1.6 is the more natural choice for a 7. It's lighter, smaller and is same as a sigma so sumps and bell housings readily available. 180bhp out of the box and cheap as chips to buy used.

If It were me id go duratec. A set of throttle bodies and you'd be up at 190-200 bhp without the complications of a turbo install. Nice and lightish being all alloy.

[Edited on 19/11/17 by sdh2903]

ElmrPhD - 19/11/17 at 10:58 AM

K20A(x) mated to an MX-5 gearbox via the well-designed kit from K-Miata. Thus, mating this awesome engine to RWD is no longer the issue that it was when I had one. Aftermarket support and knowledge of that motor is fantastic. It is very tunable and (readily?) available.
Buddy of mine has that in his MNR.

I have an F20C in my MNR. Expensive, fantastic and increasingly rare engine. Tall, as said, and the 6-spd is heavy. Honda already maxed it out, practically speaking. 240 hp from factory is good enough for me, though. Getting my Omex ecu to achieve that might be a challenge (should know in a couple weeks), but the (required) custom intake and exhaust make using the original ecu a challenge. I have one such ecu with matching keys/lock for sale... Others have successfully used the Honda ecu, but I already had the Omex (710) in my possession and wanted the ability to lower Vtec engagement.

Steve, in the NLs