Board logo

Ford Cologne 2.9 Cosworth BOA engine
thorpey182 - 12/10/08 at 10:27 AM

Does anyone know anything about the above engine? I've been offered a complete running one, but I don't know much/anything about it (my source of info so far has been wikipedia!!) Would anyone recommend/condemn it? A thing that's putting me off slightly is the cast iron block...

Thanks alot.

[Edited on 12/10/08 by thorpey182]

froggy - 12/10/08 at 10:43 AM

lots of lighter ways to make 200hp

mr henderson - 12/10/08 at 11:00 AM

Whether it's a good idea or not will depend on many things which only you know at the moment. How much does it cost? Does it come with a suitable gearbox (autos work very well with 7's, although are unpopular in a re-sale situation)? How big is your budget? How important is weight saving?Does it come with all the ancillaries?

John

Mr G - 12/10/08 at 11:03 AM

All the help and stuff you'll ever need to know is over on madoldbuggers forum:

LINKY

Cheers

G

thorpey182 - 12/10/08 at 11:08 AM

No gearbox but all ancillaries, been offered it for £500. Obviously would like things to be as light as possible, but as froggy mentioned it isn't the lightest engine around, but for the price I wondered if it was worth it, and as I'm not totally sure about the engine I thought I'd ask on here first.

jambojeef - 12/10/08 at 11:11 AM

Great engine but thats too much money for one of them I reckon.

You can get the whole car for less if you're patient and get a pimping leather interior to go with your auto-boxed 7!

mr henderson - 12/10/08 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thorpey182
No gearbox but all ancillaries, been offered it for £500. Obviously would like things to be as light as possible, but as froggy mentioned it isn't the lightest engine around, but for the price I wondered if it was worth it, and as I'm not totally sure about the engine I thought I'd ask on here first.

The problem with this engine is that you are competing with people who need to use the V6 in competition (no, I don't know who they are, but they exist), so the prices are artificially high.

I would let this one go if I were you, get a zetec or even a pinto instead (or look out for an MOT failed TR7V8, and get lots of useful bits including the 5speed box)

John

thorpey182 - 12/10/08 at 11:23 AM

I'll keep looking looking around then. Patience is the key it would seem.... Thanks alot for all your advice, glad I asked!

[Edited on 12/10/08 by thorpey182]

theconrodkid - 12/10/08 at 12:55 PM

ask chippy,he runs one

mangogrooveworkshop - 12/10/08 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by thorpey182

The problem with this engine is that you are competing with people who need to use the V6 in competition (no, I don't know who they are, but they exist), so the prices are artificially high.

I would let this one go if I were you, get a zetec or even a pinto instead (or look out for an MOT failed TR7V8, and get lots of useful bits including the 5speed box)

John

the rally boys use them

Alfa145 - 12/10/08 at 03:40 PM

I've been looking at the BOA and BOB as a replacement for my ageing Essex.

£500 is about right for these engines (complete with all ancileries and loom/ecu) you need to factor in a couple of hundred for a V6 type9 and bellhouse/clutch/flywheel from a 2.8 V6

There may be a lighter option to 200bhp but at what cost? and there's no replacement for displacement :p

donut - 12/10/08 at 03:56 PM

Would be nice in an Old Skool Ford but not in a 7.

owelly - 12/10/08 at 05:13 PM

quote:

There may be a lighter option to 200bhp but at what cost? and there's no replacement for displacement :p

£45 for the engine. A day to make the bellhousing........

NeilP - 12/10/08 at 05:18 PM

Humbug! Bloody luverley in my 7 and before you say it yes I know it is a fatboy's 7...

Got my donor for £500 and probably made a lot of that back in strip 'n' bay.

Loads of tuning potential - 300bhp is easy for reasonable money (cams from a BOB, fuel pressure regulator and injectors and a bit of tweaking on the air...

Herman - 20/10/08 at 06:00 PM

-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]

mr henderson - 20/10/08 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Herman
I think £500 too steep though, £250 is more like it.

But you don't know what the condition or history was. I would much sooner pay £500 for a really good donor than £250 for one in poor/unknown condition

John

Herman - 20/10/08 at 07:37 PM

-

[Edited on 23/11/08 by Herman]