Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crimping v soldering
MikeRJ

posted on 21/4/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
The reason soldering is a bad idea for terminating wires is that the solder wicks back up multi-stranded wire (which all automotive stuff is), and where the solder stops you get a sudden change between a flexible wire and a stiff wire. Any bending will take place at this point, and the copper will quickly fatigue and snap.

Crimping (done properly) also produces a lower resistance joint than soldering.

keithice

posted on 22/4/10 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do a ratchet crimper set for under thirty quid... use it at work everyday and on the odd occasion when I have had to redo the crimps, the wire has failed before I've managed to pull the crimp off....

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

rgrs

posted on 22/4/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I think the issue here is although correctly crimped joints are correct most of us cannot afford the tooling to produce the quality level required.

I build looms for work and the crimpers alone are over £400. There is no way a pre-insulated crimp and a cheap set of crimpers will produce reliable consistant joints.

When i built my loom i used un-insulated crimps which were then heatshrinked. All splices were twisted along 1" to give a mechanical joint, soldered and then heatshrinked. If the loom is is installed correctly then there should be no movement near any joints, any issues with vibration should be damped out by the heat shrink before it reaches the soldered joint.

If it was my loom i would solder and heat shrink the joints. It then becomes in our low milage cars a forgettable soloution.

Roger

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I solder and crimp if I possibly can, or solder and heatshrink. If you get non-insulated crimps you can crimp and solder.

When I did my loom the wiring was right first time but I had a very annoying hazard/indicator fault. When I eventually traced the fault it was a crimped spade connector in a multi plug. I chopped the whole thing out and put a new one in with crimp and solder.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.