Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone fed up of their iPad?
hughpinder

posted on 24/6/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
My missus works for a magazine publisher and they though they'd better look at them so they got a couple for the directors to play with - mostly older chaps into classic bikes and steam engines and the like (thats the sort of magazines they publish). The guys were given them to play with for a couple of nights each to see if they thought it was worth developing any apps for their magazines - I dont know if they will, but SWIMBO says they were all very positive about them. Although none of them were interested before, 2 have bought one since having a play.

Hugh

Agriv8

posted on 24/6/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
A note on Adobe - I think Adobe are going to come in for some flack over the next few months. the upgrade to flash 10 has an Mcafee 'Free' software in its payload ( there is a tick option not to install but its caught a couple of my users out. ) not clever in my book

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

James

posted on 24/6/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote

'nuff said!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hughpinder

posted on 24/6/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have alook at

http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/masterclass/index.cfm?articleid=3223187&pn=5

I like the formula1 app! but not at that price!

Hugh

Humbug

posted on 24/6/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
What is it for? What can it do?

Short Answer: Practically everything a laptop can do and it's more portable, runs for longer on a charge, doesn't cook your legs and is generally a pleasure to use.

History is littered with inventions which initially were mocked or doubted in some way by those without the imagination to understand their usefulness but in time many of these inventions became ubiquitous. I suspect the iPad, and the inevitable tablet clones which will emerge, will prove to be a game changer.

Remember Steve Blamer mocking the iPhone? And he is supposed to be leading one of the main companies in the industry!

I respect the opinion of anyone who tries something properly and objectively and concludes that it is not for them but too many just mock new innovations out of prejudice or fear of change and I find that pretty sad to be honest. Change is good!

...except being able to type at any sort of speed, or run Flash.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place (not sure what, exactly...), but it's certainly not an alternative for a lappy if it is used for any sort of volume of work.

and it's a lot more expensive than a lappy

[Edited on 24.06.2010 by Humbug]

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 24/6/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought an i-pad....it really is fantastic.

I have an iMac, i-Phone and now an iPad.

I admit it has limitations, however it really does depend on what you are expecting it do. when you consider that all most people do on their laptop is surf internet, read webmail and listen to music then I have to say this is a great alternative. Very portable I can even take a crap and not burn my legs as I have done with my mac book pro.

Maybe i'm just a sad appleite that thinks they have the best product on the market (certainly the best designed).

They won't do everything....but what they do....they do it very well. There will be a os update to give it the same functionality as iPhone 4 i'm sure.

Pete.

daviep

posted on 24/6/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peteday_uk@btinternet.com
I can even take a crap and not burn my legs as I have done with my mac book pro.

Pete.

Why would you take a crap with your laptop on your knee?

craig1410

posted on 24/6/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
What is it for? What can it do?

Short Answer: Practically everything a laptop can do and it's more portable, runs for longer on a charge, doesn't cook your legs and is generally a pleasure to use.

History is littered with inventions which initially were mocked or doubted in some way by those without the imagination to understand their usefulness but in time many of these inventions became ubiquitous. I suspect the iPad, and the inevitable tablet clones which will emerge, will prove to be a game changer.

Remember Steve Blamer mocking the iPhone? And he is supposed to be leading one of the main companies in the industry!

I respect the opinion of anyone who tries something properly and objectively and concludes that it is not for them but too many just mock new innovations out of prejudice or fear of change and I find that pretty sad to be honest. Change is good!

...except being able to type at any sort of speed, or run Flash.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place (not sure what, exactly...), but it's certainly not an alternative for a lappy if it is used for any sort of volume of work.

and it's a lot more expensive than a lappy

[Edited on 24.06.2010 by Humbug]

Have you tried? I can type at around 80% of normal speed on my iPad and have been able to do so right from the off without having to 'get used to it'. Very natural keyboard and error correction is very accurate.

Flash is a non-issue for me and this has been the case for the 2 years I have had an iPhone as well. Speaking as a software developer Flash is crap! Open standards like HTML5 and CSS3 etc will prevail. Even Microsoft are backing that horse now.

All I can tell you is that I have literally not lifted my home laptop in almost 3 weeks and will be selling it on eBay shortly as a result. I have a desktop machine for heavy lifting and that combined with my iPad and iPhone covers every eventuality, for me at least.

[Edited on 24/6/2010 by craig1410]

need4speed

posted on 24/6/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had to drive up Regent St early this morning could believe the number of people queuing outside to collect a phone, all very nice but after all it's a phone with a few flash extras can't see how it worth spending that on something you’re going to scratch, drop or crack the screen on.

Dave

TimEllershaw

posted on 24/6/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
I can even take a crap and not burn my legs as I have done with my mac book pro.

Pete.

... just sit the other way round and balance the laptop on the cistern

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 24/6/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by need4speed
Had to drive up Regent St early this morning could believe the number of people queuing outside to collect a phone, all very nice but after all it's a phone with a few flash extras can't see how it worth spending that on something you’re going to scratch, drop or crack the screen on.

Dave

My Dad's got a similar attitude. He said 'optional extras on a car are a waste of time. What if they go wrong. Take electric windows for example, if they go wrong it'll cost a arm and a leg to fix'

Good job Edison didn't think like that. 'No point in silly newfangled electric lamps, what if bulb goes'. Nothing would get invented ever!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/6/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
I absolutely agree with you Craig, it is also a generation thing us older people cannot keep up, stuff just keeps coming out to quick but when my son gets one wich im'e sure he will i will probably sit down with him and then get my head round it.

Inventions are good or we don't move forward.:

I disagree - I find as I get older that I just can't be arsed with the new technology. It's not that I don't understand it - I am a professional in the IT industry, dealing with some impressive stuff - it's more that I don't think that that it's important.

Don't get me wrong - I love gadgets, and I think the iPad is very clever - but it's simply not important to me. I have 2 laptops (one crappy and old, which is used for rough work, and the other for 'good stuff' ) but I just don't use them very often. Mobile comms aren't something I need - I'd rather read a paper book.

I do have a favourite gadget that does get alot of use - A Google G1 phone with the android operating system. I use that a *lot*, including browsing and ebook reading. It does what I need to do - no more, no less. It cost me nothing - in fact, it was a minus cost, 'cos it was a free upgrade and I sold my old phone for £58! It does give me information as and when I need it, which is all I require. I would not consider paying iPhone prices for the same functionality - I'd simply do without (it's not *that* important).

It's a bit like all the latest TV technology - blueray, 3D, HD and so on - all wonderful stuff, but I won't pay any attention until they show stuff I'm interested in watching. For example, look at tonight's TV listings - absolutely nothing I want to watch, so I really don't care if it's in lo-def, hi-def, 3D or holographic - until there's some content I want to watch, I won't be watching it. At the moment the majority of TV is entirely content-free.

Also, it's getting more and more obvious that the new technology is aimed at getting the consumers to pay more money to the supplier. Nothing to do with enriching the experience, improving technology, etc - it's all to do with lifting money out of our wallets. Frankly, I don't intend to play that game - I'd happily get rid of the TV, for all the good it does me.

Basically, I have a life outside of TV and computers, and I intend to keep it that way!

[Edited on 24/6/10 by David Jenkins]

craig1410

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
I absolutely agree with you Craig, it is also a generation thing us older people cannot keep up, stuff just keeps coming out to quick but when my son gets one wich im'e sure he will i will probably sit down with him and then get my head round it.

Inventions are good or we don't move forward.:

I disagree - I find as I get older that I just can't be arsed with the new technology. It's not that I don't understand it - I am a professional in the IT industry, dealing with some impressive stuff - it's more that I don't think that that it's important.

Don't get me wrong - I love gadgets, and I think the iPad is very clever - but it's simply not important to me. I have 2 laptops (one crappy and old, which is used for rough work, and the other for 'good stuff' ) but I just don't use them very often. Mobile comms aren't something I need - I'd rather read a paper book.

I do have a favourite gadget that does get alot of use - A Google G1 phone with the android operating system. I use that a *lot*, including browsing and ebook reading. It does what I need to do - no more, no less. It cost me nothing - in fact, it was a minus cost, 'cos it was a free upgrade and I sold my old phone for £58! It does give me information as and when I need it, which is all I require. I would not consider paying iPhone prices for the same functionality - I'd simply do without (it's not *that* important).

It's a bit like all the latest TV technology - blueray, 3D, HD and so on - all wonderful stuff, but I won't pay any attention until they show stuff I'm interested in watching. For example, look at tonight's TV listings - absolutely nothing I want to watch, so I really don't care if it's in lo-def, hi-def, 3D or holographic - until there's some content I want to watch, I won't be watching it. At the moment the majority of TV is entirely content-free.

Also, it's getting more and more obvious that the new technology is aimed at getting the consumers to pay more money to the supplier. Nothing to do with enriching the experience, improving technology, etc - it's all to do with lifting money out of our wallets. Frankly, I don't intend to play that game - I'd happily get rid of the TV, for all the good it does me.

Basically, I have a life outside of TV and computers, and I intend to keep it that way!

And the award for the most depressing post of the evening goes to David!

scootz

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I found it quite inspiring!

It's Evolution Baby!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

???

Why? 'Cos I don't fall for the hype?

When TV programs have content I want to watch, THEN I'll take an interest in the technology. When a device is relevant to my life, THEN I'll get one (like my android phone).

Otherwise I'll keep my money in my pocket, and enjoy the life I've got (it's pretty good as it is, really).

For me, computers are tools - if I need that tool, I'll get one. If I don't need it, I'll manage without. I certainly don't intend to spend a stupid amount of money because the hype says that I MUST BUY IT.

scootz

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

Pete.

... just sit the other way round and balance the laptop on the cistern

It's Evolution Baby!

craig1410

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

???

Why? 'Cos I don't fall for the hype?

When TV programs have content I want to watch, THEN I'll take an interest in the technology. When a device is relevant to my life, THEN I'll get one (like my android phone).

Otherwise I'll keep my money in my pocket, and enjoy the life I've got (it's pretty good as it is, really).

It's not a question of hype. I don't fall for hype any more than you do. I also agree that TV is generally crap and the only channels I watch are science and nature programs with the occasional action or crime movie.

Also, it may interest you to learn that I became a Mac user because I got bored with building PCs and spending hours on end maintaining and upgrading them. I've been working with IT since 1980 and have enjoyed many advances in technology which have occurred in that time. I personally think that these advancements have greatly enriched our lives and I feel we should celebrate them.

I work in IT as well and mostly deal with Windows, HPUX and Linux systems. I find that the Mac is different enough to these to allow me to separate work computing from hobby computing. Similar story with the likes of the iPad, it is different enough to not feel like work as well as having all the features I mentioned in my first post above.

I just felt that your post was regressive and while I respect your opinion and share some of your sentiments, I am a technology enthusiast and expect I always will be. I also have a rich family life with 3 great kids and various other sports and hobbies to keep me in balance but there is plenty of room for gadgets in my life and I enjoy the innovation and design excellence which Apple consistently seem to produce.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy the Google G1 iPhone clone, maybe Google will create an iPad clone which you like just as much!

Apologies if my earlier comment was abrasive. I was rushing out the door as I made the comment so it may have been shorter and sharper than I intended.

Cheers,
Craig.

madmandegge

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Other than starting a nice debate, I'm saddened to see that noone wants to sell me their iPad!

Maybe if some of you who don't like them could try one out, then sell it to me when you decide to get rid?

In all seriousness I want one to view PDFs on something with a nice screen and decent backlight. It's no eink screen, but I've only heard good things about reading on them.

Plus all the stuff everyone has already mentioned

craig1410

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmandegge
Other than starting a nice debate, I'm saddened to see that noone wants to sell me their iPad!

Maybe if some of you who don't like them could try one out, then sell it to me when you decide to get rid?

In all seriousness I want one to view PDFs on something with a nice screen and decent backlight. It's no eink screen, but I've only heard good things about reading on them.

Plus all the stuff everyone has already mentioned

Yes the iPad's are really nice to read on. I dislike the flicker you get with e-ink displays when they change pages. I couldn't believe it was normal when I first tried one and it would drive nuts. Give me a nice IPS LCD any day!

David Jenkins

posted on 25/6/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmandegge

I think that the problem for you is that once people have decided to splash out so much money, they are reluctant to part with the thing and lose money so soon.

It is a good bit of kit, so I don't think people are going to get disillusioned with it for a while yet...

nitram38

posted on 25/6/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I got my iphone 4 yesterday, very nice bit of kit. Lots of improvements.
Spent all night transfering my files/music over.
Bought copilot app on itunes after lots of recommendations.
Theres a problem with copilot on iphone 4 and it needs updating according to copilot support!
I'm sure it will be fixed soon!
The screen is really clear.
I only need someone with another 4 so I can use the face to face video option!

Humbug

posted on 25/6/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the Apple-bashing, "Upgraded" SWMBO's iPod Touch to the latest OS and it wiped all her music off.
craig1410

posted on 25/6/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Just to add to the Apple-bashing, "Upgraded" SWMBO's iPod Touch to the latest OS and it wiped all her music off.

I think that is actually normal for a major upgrade. All you have to do is sync it back over again from iTunes. My iPhone 3G was the same when I did it a few weeks ago.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.