Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DPF Removal?
steve m

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not that i know a diddly squat about diesels, but my DPF problems only started when i blanked the EGR off, as discussed in an earlier thread

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind the digging it is time for a reading from the good book and erect a headstone.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Not that i know a diddly squat about diesels, but my DPF problems only started when i blanked the EGR off, as discussed in an earlier thread

Steve

DPFs are the work of the devil technology that isn't up to the job a ticking time bomb.

[/I]

Proby

posted on 15/2/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into binning the DPF on my VAG 170Tdi lump a few years back. Lots of people doing it with no problems, as long as you map out the sensors to stop error codes appearing. Running 230bhp without the DPF and a map too!
britishtrident

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
To quote from another website (Not Wiki):

"Traditional (indirect) fuel injection systems pre-mix the gasoline and air in a chamber just outside the cylinder called the intake manifold. In a direct-injection system, the air and gasoline are not pre-mixed; air comes in via the intake manifold, while the gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder"

Source: http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/directinjection.htm

A diesel a running on "gasolene" they can run on coal dust (strange but true but petrol no !

A diesel injecting into the inlet manifold. !

Please check your sources before repost absolute guff from the inter net.

Hint web search on " Ricardo Comet Diesel pre-combustion chamber."

[Edited on 15/2/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 15/2/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
To quote from Autodiagnostics and publishing.com:

"The job of the EGR valve is precisely that, to reduce the combustion chamber temperature. By reintroducing a measured amount of exhaust gas into the intake manifold and back to the combustion chamber, the actual combustion is cooled down.

The actual purpose of EGR is to reduce NOx emissions, and it does this by reducing peak combustion temperatures.

coozer

posted on 16/2/12 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can anyone recommend a place where after I've hacked the insides out can remap my ecu please....

And, no more tizzies please.....

Who's coming to Stoneliegh for a BIG drinky????

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Paul Turner

posted on 16/2/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
The DPF is there for a very good reason. Soot particles are carcinogenic and are better trapped and burned correctly than being allowed directly into the atmosphere. I accept there are may 1,000's of diesels out there without them since they did not have them when new but surely we don't want to take the irresponsible attitude that pollution does not matter, lets move forward and reduce pollution.

We have 2 diesels in our household and both have a DPF fitted. They both regenerate when necessary without all this urban myth nonsense about thrashing them on the motorway. The ECU controls the regen, not the drivers right foot. The only time a run of 30 minutes above 2,500 rpm is necessary and specified by the manufacturer is when the malfunction light flashes.

The urban myth about cleaning them out is complete nonsense, the soot is bonded to the matrix and can only be burned off at temps above 600 C, steam is at 100 C (below normal exhaust temps) how is that going to work.

The fuel additive is Eolys and is used in mainly in certain diesels of Peugeot/Citroen origin where due to the DPF location the regen temp of 600 C cannot be reached by adjusting the injection timing. It cannot be simply added to the fuel since it is a dangerous chemical, it is kept in a separate tank and added in the correct amounts as you drive.

I had a 96 Golf TDi, the smoke/soot it kicked out when you floored it was embarrassing, don't want to go there again.

Anyone removing a DPF should fail their MOT just like you do if you remove a petrol Cat.

Alan M

posted on 16/2/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
(Anyone removing a DPF should fail their MOT just like you do if you remove a petrol Cat)

This is the point I was trying to make (and failing badly)! It is an integral part of emmisions reduction and works with the EGR

daviep

posted on 16/2/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
The DPF is there for a very good reason. Soot particles are carcinogenic and are better trapped and burned correctly than being allowed directly into the atmosphere. I accept there are may 1,000's of diesels out there without them since they did not have them when new but surely we don't want to take the irresponsible attitude that pollution does not matter, lets move forward and reduce pollution.

Anyone removing a DPF should fail their MOT just like you do if you remove a petrol Cat.

That's very altruistic.

Here's another quote from Paul in another thread

quote:
My car was regsistered in 1993. Its on ithe 5th engine, started 1300 x-flow, now 2 litre Blacktop. Its still MOT's on visible smoke sice that is what it was originally.

Have a nice 1994 2 litre silvertop under the bench ready for the next project, no cat, emmissions again, yipeeeeeeee.

I think you might be a little bit bi-polar.

Davie

p.s. The inocuous threads are always the best

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Paul Turner

posted on 17/2/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
My Seven does not need a Cat, if it did it would have a working one. In 19 years the car has done less than 30,000 miles, not much in the way of emissions compared to a 12,000 a year diesel. It has always been properly tuned not only to ensure it will pass its MOT (visible smoke but some stations have insisted doing a full test at times) but also ensure its as economical as possible.

The 2 litre Blacktop does 32 mpg on a run, my old 4speed 1860 175 bhp x-flow 3.92 diff 185 60 13 tyres (4400 rpm at 70 mph) used to manage 16 mpg, don't want that again.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I find anyone commuting 1.1 miles by car, if they don't have to carry a large amount of tools, shockingly poor form!

quote:
I commute just under 4 miles & when it suits I go on the push bike which takes 20-30 mins but most of the time it's just not suitable.

I commute 8 and a bit miles in 30 mins with a backpack full of laptop and books. Weather is a pain at times but in 1.1 miles you'd bearly get wet and it's about 4 minutes riding.

coozer

posted on 18/2/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Nice to see ya back Alan.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SeaBass

posted on 18/2/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
175 bhp x-flow

ROFLcopter.

coozer

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
So, there I am sitting on the fence behind the barrier thinking about the reason the thing gave up on the motorway... car sitting silenty on the hard shoulder.

Nice AA man comes, plugs in and says "DPF blocked mate, where do you want to go?"

Energy Tuning mate thanks.

Towed up there and on arrival we get it going to find nothing coming out the exhaust as it struggles to idle and rev up to 1700rpm!

24 hours later I have a car that actually goes properly! Smoke test well under the MOT limit, no suprise really as my 16 year old 106D whacks it as well!

Darren at Energy Tuning is a fantastic guy and if you want yours doing he can retune your ECU via post.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hellfire

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
States on the website 'From £299' but how much did it actually cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Phil

coozer

posted on 29/2/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
£350 including an oil and filter change. If you can remove the filter yourselve, mine was welded on - its £199 for tuning the ecu.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.