Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lock your doors when you're at home...
coyoteboy

posted on 13/6/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Only until the next MOT when the VIN and plates are checked.
The Shootist

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
Apple and oranges...

Stats don't compare...UK number are based on prosecutions, US figures are reported incidents.

I find it hard to believe some of you guys actually talk of leaving the keys easy to find to protect your asses from intruders, but you say having the RIGHT to defend yourself or your property is paranoid?

I know a London Bobby (sp) that moved to the US and is a cop here. He told me he feels much safer on the job here than in the UK.

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

In most US states when the scoundrel opened the door without permission, the assumption is that he means to do bodily harm, and lethal force is justified.

I wouldn't want to live somewhere where that level of paranoia and free access to weapons was considered normal.

FWIW, despite the gun laws and supposedly open-house feel given by it the US property crime stats (i.e. not including murder, rape, violent crimes) stand at:

3200 per 100,000.

The UKs property crime stats stand at:

1200 per 100,000.

Add that to the fact that the US has approximately 10,000 murders by firearm per year and the UK has 14, thats one gun murder per 31,200 folk in the US, and one per 4.5 million in the UK.

Not sure the US has any room to shout on this one

morcus

posted on 14/6/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
I think it was more about the likelyhood of someone breaking in with a gun.

I personally think most people wouldn't do anything if it happened to them because of the way the mind works. You don't really think when someone is threatening you, you just do. Thats how car jacking works, most victims of car jacking are in a good position to escape if they had the strength of mind to realise it but it happen because in the moment you don't think about it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/6/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stats don't compare...UK number are based on prosecutions, US figures are reported incidents.

The stats do compare. Are you suggesting that prosecutions in the UK are stupendously low for the amount of gun crime or are you suggesting that reported incidents in the USA are about 1000 for every actual gun death?

These figures are the figures your and our governments use to identify crime rates, if anything both are likely to be being lenient, but even so yours is approximately 100x worse for gun crime and 3x worse for property crime.

Peoples feelings and anecdotal evidence mean sweet FA. I can't believe any rational human would suggest arming everyone makes crime less likely. Most of the folk committing crimes are not cat burglars that take high value items and don't wish to end up dead, they're down and out folk with nothing to lose. Give someone with nothing to lose a weapon to use and they'll use it. Guns are hard enough to get hold of here that most theft is not armed with firearm.

Think about it the other way - put yourself in a situation where you're watching TV and someone is breaking into your house, neither of you are armed with a gun and your car is insured so it's not the end of the world that it vanishes. Now, replace that situation with the gun reality that the person breaking in has a gun in their hand and you have one in a cupboard somewhere nearby. Your car is still insured, it's still worth less than your family and your life and you're less prepared than the person who's just walked in your door. Unless you sit stroking your weapon all day.

There's just no logic in the American way, but then from a country where something like half the folk believe in creationism and are fairly strictly religious it's not really surprising that blind faith leads the way, and sure enough it'd be hard to go back from guns all round to no guns, but that doesn't make any sense in the UK where 99% of folk don't have guns currently.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.