Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duump SKY for Freesat
Mr C

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greenie
Do I need a dish to use the Humax system or can I utilise my SKY dish or do I need a dish at all?

t should be a straight forward plug n play as they use the same satellite, the sky dish should be fine.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Jasper

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I binned my Sky subscription as soon as FreeSat became available, bought a Humax box and never looked back. Feels good not to be giving those arseholes my money any more.

And yes, just plug it in, straight swap.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C

t should be a straight forward plug n play as they use the same satellite, the sky dish should be fine.

The same *group* of *satellites* - there's a whole load of Astra satellites used by various European broadcasters. Sky is on one, FreeSat is on another, but they're so close together that the same dish pointing in the same direction will work for both. See Wikipedia entry.

I've gone from paying Sky around £20 per month for hundreds of channels I never watched, to £0 per month for 50-odd channels I never watch... I only miss watching 1 or 2 channels that aren't on FreeSat - and I'm not too worried about them.

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
With reference to Sky turning of the 'record' facility on a set-top box once you cancel your subscription.
As I understand from my old days with Sky, they always insisted that the box was my property. Therefore surely it is illegal for them to tamper with your equipment.
Anybody taken this up with Trading Standards?
I would think this at the very least constitutes Hacking and possible Criminal Damage.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Greenie

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you ALL very very much for all your interesting advise and I have decided to take the Humax route, been to look at few models and I think I have made my mind up to get the new model with the iplayer etc incorporated. ...... Cheers again to ALL!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.