Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie seeking advice and guidence.......
Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Westfields Mazda MX5 Donor Kit

scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Westfields Mazda MX5 Donor Kit

You clever bugger

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 20/7/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
What donor

The problem with BMW is that the engine is huge, slanted and German. The Japs are more reliable, easier to maintain/fix and tune. I would have thought that the MX axle would be a little too narrow? Personally I'm using a Silvia turbo (85 model) as they are very cheap to buy with good strong engines, only paid £72 for mine from e-bay, but still thinking of using Ford axle/hubs.
Keith Tanner

posted on 20/7/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
The MX5 has IRS. The rear track is 56.2".

www.slowcarfast.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur Dent

posted on 20/7/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
How tall is a Miata motor from top cam cover to bottom of oil pan?

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

Keith Tanner

posted on 20/7/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
It varies slightly depending on things like VVT (2001-05 motors), but 24" is pretty normal. It's 16" from the center of the crankshaft to the top of the cover if anyone's looking to molest the oil pan.

www.slowcarfast.com

Arthur Dent

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
And you got yours under a standard nose cone then? Hmmm ... more room than I thought then. I might go that way if I can source one for a reasonable cost.

I'd probably go with an earlier 1.6L engine. The only thing that worries me is all the wiring. I suppose an old Alfa Romeo twin cam would be similar-ish but carb'd.

[Edited on 2006/7/20 by Arthur Dent]

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

Keith Tanner

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
You can put carbs on a Miata engine if you want, but the EFI works much much better. You can even smack a dizzy on the engine without any modification if you don't like DIS.

The only real hassle would be mounting the air flow meter. That would be easier on a 1994+ car, but it can be done with the more awkwardly shaped 1990-93. Because of my aftermarket computer, I didn't have to deal with this.

www.slowcarfast.com

Arthur Dent

posted on 22/7/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks - so 1994+ is easiest to fit. I'll be one the look out.

ash_hammond

posted on 22/7/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I am new to bulding locosts, my advice would be stick with ford bits. They are cheap, simple and someone will always know how to fix ur problem

ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Keith Tanner

posted on 24/7/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest to fit would be a 1994-95 engine, at least in Canada. Starting in 1996, OBD-II was introduced and the engine management gets a little more ornery. Not a problem if you use carburettors of course. In 1999, a new head was introduced but these are sought-after and expensive.

The 1.8 is a little larger physically, mostly in length. My 1.6 is very close to not fitting under a nose cone and the engine sits further back than in a classic Caterham.

www.slowcarfast.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.