Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken Plug - what is best ez-out set to get?
adamhay

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Broken Plug - what is best ez-out set to get?

Just had a load of work done on my engine, all fitted back, just run the oil pressure up with the plugs out, but when I screwed the second plug in . .. the bar-steward sheared off

After that instantaneous sickening feeling and a cold sweat one gets at times like this, I thought what the hell can I do about it.

A quick search on Google suggests this is a not uncommon occurrence and that an ez-out will do the job. Not had much luck with these in the past so I was wondering if anyone had done this job successfully. If so, what ez-out set did you use (it's for a Busa BTW) - I guess the hole left will be about 6.25mm.

Is there anything else that will expand in the hole in a more uniform manner than an ez-out?

Thanks for any advice.

jonesier1

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
is the ceramic still in the middle,if so wind the engine over and it should pop out.Last few i've had broken off iv'e used a big tappered punch with a flat ground in the end,hammered it into the hole so the flat bites in and put some mole grips on the punch and wound it out.
adamhay

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ceramic came out when it broke - still attached to the main but of the plug. So there's just the threaded hollow bit left.

So I've got a chance of getting it out then
. . . that's good.

I'll go down the tool shop tomorrow to see what I can find that might do the job. I've got no ez-outs the right size, or torx bits (as others have used) .. Maybe a punch will do it - ta.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
With a 'modern' engine, take your time, I'm sure you will.... sweat dripping off.
My engines (GSXR1000), things are even tighter with a long reach down to the plug.
My plugs on unserviced/abused road-engines often break when trying to shift them. Since I'm stripping them anyway, I use an easy-out from the electrode side.... far easier.

mad-butcher

posted on 12/5/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
just watch the little electrode tag doesn't snap off, I think people very carefully push it out of the way,good luck with it

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 12/5/09 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Had this exact problem, a correctly sized torx bit on an extension hammered lightly into the hollow part till it gripped, then uncrewed - got mine right out...

James

www.warnercars.com

adamhay

posted on 14/5/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Came straight out once I'd fettled a torx drive to fit in the hole.

Ta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.