Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Completely OT, House rental advice
r1_pete

posted on 19/6/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Completely OT, House rental advice

The wealth of experience on here never ceases to amaze...

So, as someone who has never been involved with house rentals I need a bit of advice for my daughter.

3 weeks ago moved into a rented house.

2 weeks ago as part of the deal al new carpets fitted, carpet fitters took all the internal doors off to fit the carpets, then say they cant shave them and put them back because they're not joiners.

Daughter contacts agent, says he will get the builder who did the renovations to come and sort them out.

Unable to contact builder until earlier this week.

Daughter comes home Wednesday to find builder has let himself in, her dog is out in the road unleashed, bearing in mind her contract states 48 hours notice for landlord or his agent to enter, she asks what he thinks hes doing uninvited in her home, he throws a tantrum and leaves.

Contacts agent - says let the builder cool down.

Contacts landlord - says I think everyone is over reacting..

So she has had no internal doors for 2 weeks, and no sign things will be sorted, what course of action would you chaps reccomend?? As I said I have no experience of renting so can't at the moment advise.

Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 19/6/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
If she doesnt want to end up with one month's notice to vacate the property at the earliest opportunity (6 months??), then best to keep on good terms with the landlord and let them sort it out.

Maybe speak to them about your daughter arranging for the doors to be done herself after providing quotes??

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
1) Politely remind the landlord of the terms of the agreement, with respect to the 48hrs notice.
2) Inform landlord that rent will be withheld until repairs are completed to a satisfactory standard.
3) Remind landlord that the rent due is for a fully functional dwelling, not one with the doors off and that some compensation will be expected.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Steve G

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
1) Politely remind the landlord of the terms of the agreement, with respect to the 48hrs notice.
2) Inform landlord that rent will be withheld until repairs are completed to a satisfactory standard.
3) Remind landlord that the rent due is for a fully functional dwelling, not one with the doors off and that some compensation will be expected.

4) Pack bags and look for new home

blakep82

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
^ as above, but remember its the landlords house, if she properly went off on one (enough for him to stom out) that won't please the landlord.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

as far as mortgage lenders go, fully habitable means working kitchen and bathrooms. no doors doesn't mean she can't live there and do things as normal

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

handyandy

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
its also a fire risk that is not acceptable , do as has been suggested already but also put it in writing that she (your daughter ) expects the doors to be fitted within a set timescale, the agent & landlord HAVE to act upon a safety issue as soon as possible & not as soon as convenient to them.
get tough i say, 48hr notice to enter the dwelling, get them to stick to the agreement they issued.

andy

nitram38

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Changing the locks would also be a good idea......................

JoelP

posted on 19/6/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
builder letting himself in isnt acceptable, in your AST agreement it says that you have the right to peaceful enjoyment which includes privacy. Builder probably got caught in the middle and felt hard done by so went in a mood. Agent is to blame for poor communication.

DavidW

posted on 19/6/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Landlords have lost quite of lot of rights these days so I think you are right on the on the the 48 hours notice for access bit.

Entering without written permission may therefore be a breach of the contract.

Not sure about the no doors making the place inhabitable - think about open plan buildings?

fov

posted on 19/6/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
First thing I would say is take a lot of the advice here with a pinch of salt.

Dont withhold rent unless things become very bad. It will put you in very bad position if things ever get to court (even not for this).

As mentioned 'fully functioning' does not include doors unless they are firedoors and in which case they could probably come in at short notice (as good as no notice by saying they tried ringing but got no answer) as the AST will probably have a clause for emergency access.

Changing the locks would again be a very bad idea. Landlord would just get them replaced and chage you for the pleasure.

Best plan would be to try to sort it out in a friendly manor. A good plan would be as mentioned to suggest she get the quotes for the work and it be done on her terms. Failing that take some proper advice on what roads are open for recourse.

And just so you know I am a landlord, i manage some student lets and do some works for an RSL (registered social landlord) thought IANAL.

ruskino80

posted on 19/6/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
i have to go into several rented properties every week for maintainance work etc,and i would never enter unless authorised to do so-my job sheets from the letting agent specify wether the use of a pass key is ok(no need to contact tennant as they have verbally ok'd it with the agent)or numbers are provided to make an appointment with the tennant.
i can understand why he would just want to go in and get it out of the way-because he probably fitted the doors,but due to the typical lazy carpet fitters he is now faced with probably having to go back (unpaid-or expecting not to be paid)to do the job again.
anyhow he should not have just gone in and in my opinion a quick call to say that you felt it was inappropiate etc should suffice.

andkilde

posted on 19/6/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I concur with the "amicable agreement" solution, but in defense of your daughter -- had I come home and found my dog running in the street it'd be a fatal beating for the perpetrator.

At my last house, I had words with the meter reader who repeatedly left my gate unlatched -- I put a stonking great padlock on it and phoned my own meter readings into his supervisor after he did it a third time.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 19/6/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
every place i have ever rended over the years. first thing i ever do is change the locks regardles of what the contract says. you never know who has a key.

if the land lord trys to get in without arranging prior then they can't.

also remember if the place gets done over and there is no sign of forced entry the insurance company will not pay out. you can explain this to the land lord when they find out you changed the locks.

every time i have left a rented place i have handed back the working key and said i had to have the lock changed as i lost/broke the key.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

fov

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
every place i have ever rended over the years. first thing i ever do is change the locks regardles of what the contract says. you never know who has a key.

if the land lord trys to get in without arranging prior then they can't.

also remember if the place gets done over and there is no sign of forced entry the insurance company will not pay out. you can explain this to the land lord when they find out you changed the locks.

every time i have left a rented place i have handed back the working key and said i had to have the lock changed as i lost/broke the key.

What about when there is a water leak or a tile blows off the roof.
Put it this way im coming in as an emergency and im billing you for the damage done to gain entry and the replacement of the locks.
Ofcourse you can give the landlord a key for this but that really doesn't help in the OPs situation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.