eccsmk

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
engine transplants

no so good

click

l0rd

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's been like that in Greece for ages.

You can only get a transplant engine on a realy old car, as finding the exact same engine might be impossible and hence a newer bigger engine may be used.

The first car that does such a conversion, will need to undergo some testing in some sort of a VOSA centre after paying a huge bill. The second car that might do the same conversion, do not have to go through this test and they only have to declare the engine swap.

tegwin

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you read the article.. it sounds like the reporter has heard about the new IVA regulations, done about 30 seconds of research and then put that thing together.... Its a load of illogical and badly written cack as far as I am concerned!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

hillbillyracer

posted on 30/9/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
It looks to me like they worked out the worst possible interpretation of the regs to get the best story, I think it's just scare-mongering.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 30/9/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto, as above. I think it reads like it's been shoe-horned together to work out the worst case scenario; it's nothing I wouldn't do when registering my kit anyway!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

roadrunner

posted on 30/9/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
even if it were true, all you need is a good mate at your local garage.
renrut

posted on 30/9/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Seen this posted up on PPC too. Sounds very much like someone doing 2+2=6. Not always the wrong thing to do but he provides nothing to back it up.

Yet more misinformation into the pile we already get from VOSA/DVLA/mate in the pub.

As said I think its him misunderstanding the new IVA, the DVLA clamping down on engine swaps and the DVLA clamping down on radically modified vehicles.

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

MakeEverything

posted on 30/9/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Even if it were true, there are so many loopholes that you could get around it anyway.

A mate in the garage - Receipt
Engine code publication for sizing
VOSA for inspection or RAC independant inspection - £35

Sounds to me like hes talking shite, and wants to be a real reporter one day.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Canada EH!

posted on 30/9/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the system used in aircraft, want to put a larger engine in, get an authorized facility to fit the engine, have the Ministry of Transport inspect the work, do flight tests, and if succesful recieve an STC Single Type Certificate. Now the good news, anybody else wants to do it they pay you for the approved paper work.
rf900rush

posted on 30/9/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just Change My RF900 to a ZX12R on my DAX

The DVLA wanted documentation for it's capacity and an a form of proof that it's not nicked.
A reciept from the supplier, plus a Spec sheet (off the Web) for engine size, worked fine.

Before that change, a Photo of the engine number and a personal reciept also worked.

The DVLA were very helpful the prevoius time I did this.

I think they just need to know it's not stolen and you are not fiddleing the TAX class.

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.