Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Tie Rod play
robocog

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Tie Rod play

After todays blat the slight clunk/play coming from the front offside wheel has got much worse and been diagnosed as the ball joint in the concertenerd gaiter on the steering rack
(with the gaiter pulled back the play is quite visible!)

Haynes shows its part of the tie rod and nothing to shim or adjust, just throw away and replace with new

Now...I really want to make it to Tuesdays meet and back without any dramas or crashing and burning and I guess the ONLY place I will stand a chance of getting a shiney new set of tie rods will be from the main dealer (not looking forward to it and none showing up on eBay) my guess is that they will not have them in stock and there will be a wait for them to come in (assuming I can afford them and they are not unobtainium/obsolete)

What cost are new ones likely to be?

Is it REALLY dodgy of me to even think about driving the car with the steering in this state? (looks to be about 1mm play in the ball joint, but exaggerated at the wheel where its about 3 or 4 mm of "clunk"

What are the chances of the ball joint coming apart/letting go ?

Is the main dealer the only place I'm likely to get a replacement set?
Is it going to be a several hour swearing and skin removal session to replace them? (heard they are usually staked on after being done up bloody tight and with thread lock)
Is this the kind of thing that should not be attempted on a freezing cold dark driveway with the rack still in position with mole grips and Stiltons the night before a meet?
Will I need a vice and lots of luck to separate the old ones?
Advice on separating them if they have been staked good and proper!

Regards
Rob

theconrodkid

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
they are an assembly,just need stilsons to undo them, make sure the knuckle is still tight on the rack and it is the knuckle that has play.
how ,s it goin Rob?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

robocog

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, going alreet
Would have come to WLM but Goodwood Brekkie club got the vote

Definitely the ball joint buggered...
Can see the ball moving in its socket when the wheel is wiggled :-(

The bottom ball joints I got from Stoneleigh last year have perished rubbers already...was hoping to have at least 1 MOT without the same old bloody "perished ball joint gaiters" advisory!
(will email raldes as I'm sure the rubber should last longer than the 4 months they have been fitted!)

Regards
Rob

davidwag

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Phone around your local motor factors. Available in lots of different brands. Quinton Hazell Part No. is QR2135S

David

robocog

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, gives me something to ask and an opportunity to avoid the main dealers

(I get the impression the lady behind the parts counter is never pleased to see me as it usually involves lots of cross referencing stuff as I'm never entirely sure what the bit I need is from...and cannot give her a VIN or reg plate that would help her find what I need)

Have printed off the part number and will ring round tomorrow
I assume all Sierras tie rods are all the same length and thread throughout? (apart from the 4x4 models - as I see the rod end joints appear to be different when listed on eBay)

Regards
Rob

boggle

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
i have the same problem with my motor factors, but they wont do anything without a reg number so i get stuck.....alot......

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

robocog

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just managed to get onto the QH website (rather their nifty adobe Air thingy) and it looks like there are 2 different lengths of tie rods

QR2135s (290 mm length)
and the QR3234s (270 mm)

Just been out to check with a tape measure, chuffin cold out there!
290mm ones as suggested should be perfect where the 270mmm version would not leave much thread in the extension arms so 100% right with the suggestion of QR2135s ...hopefully

Regards
Rob

robocog

posted on 8/3/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ordered 2 of the longer ones £32.67 all in for the pair and should be with me tomorrow
(From Camberley Auto Parts)

Fingers crossed I can fit em before the meet without chuffing up the tracking

Regards
Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.