Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre foot print question
tomgregory2000

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre foot print question

ok im looking to sort out my wheels and tyres due to the increased bhp and torque from my new engine

now this is on a viento so if anybody says that i need 13" rims i will have to come round and slap you

now to my question:

which one of these tyres would give me the biggest foot print?

245/55/16 on a 7" wide rim (yes they will fit) running 18psi OR

255/40/17 on a 9" wide rim running 18psi

now i guess the 16" rims and tyres will be lighter but being a viento its not the lightest of cars, all i want is the biggest contact area to try and cut down the wheel spin in first, second and third

in my mind i am thinking the 245/55/16 will give me the biggest contact area but what does everybody else think?

l0rd

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
245/55/16 would be the ones to go for.

ignore my comment

The biggest area would be the 255/40/17

I would still go for the 16 though

[Edited on 30/4/10 by l0rd]

Canada EH!

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well if 245 is the tread width and 55 is the side wall to tread ratio, then I think the 255/40's will put more rubber on the road. Having said that, the 40's side wall is going to make for a very hard ride. This is the reason people recommend 13" tyres, large side wall works as part of the suspension.
Richard Quinn

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, hijack alert! My lad is after some 245/40 17's for his van (don't ask!!!). I don't have much experience of these sorts of sizes so where's best to go for these large rubber bands?
40inches

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Well if 245 is the tread width and 55 is the side wall to tread ratio, then I think the 255/40's will put more rubber on the road. Having said that, the 40's side wall is going to make for a very hard ride. This is the reason people recommend 13" tyres, large side wall works as part of the suspension.

Good job you are in Canada or Tom would be over to yours to give you a good slapping

tomgregory2000

posted on 30/4/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
i dont mind going over to canada to give um a slap just as long some one can pay for my flights

anyway back to my original question.

i know 255 is 10 wider than a 245 but with a higher profile of the 245's and running 18psi you would get more tyre contact front to back than on the 255's

alistairolsen

posted on 30/4/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
The tyre contact patch are will be identical whether you fit 145 or 330 wide tyres.................

My Build Thread

40inches

posted on 30/4/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
The tyre contact patch are will be identical whether you fit 145 or 330 wide tyres.................

Then why fit bigger tyres, why don't all cars run on 145's if it doesn't make any difference?

Canada EH!

posted on 30/4/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have him come over I haven't had a good rumble since I retired from the Toronto Police.
v8kid

posted on 30/4/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
215/50/15 888's (worn but legal) on 7J team dynamics pro 1.2 and Khumo 275/40/17 (dyno run only) on 9J TD pro 1.2 available half price of rims alone U2u if interested all standard ford fitment

[Edited on 30-4-10 by v8kid]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stott

posted on 30/4/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
i dont mind going over to canada to give um a slap just as long some one can pay for my flights

anyway back to my original question.

i know 255 is 10 wider than a 245 but with a higher profile of the 245's and running 18psi you would get more tyre contact front to back than on the 255's

I'll come too if flights are paid, my days as a paid assasin are over and im getting bored in the garage all day, lol

tomgregory2000

posted on 30/4/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
215/50/15 888's (worn but legal) on 7J team dynamics pro 1.2 and Khumo 275/40/17 (dyno run only) on 9J TD pro 1.2 available half price of rims alone U2u if interested all standard ford fitment

[Edited on 30-4-10 by v8kid]

you have u2u

nz_climber

posted on 1/5/10 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest the 16's, as with the bigger sidewall aspect, you will have more movement in the sidewall that will help traction off the line a lot more than 10mm extra width.
Gives more side wall to deform, before spinning the wheels - check out slow motion top fuel drag cars launch to see what I mean.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

Frosty

posted on 1/5/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Then why fit bigger tyres, why don't all cars run on 145's if it doesn't make any difference?

He didn't say it doesn't make any difference. He just said the contact patch will be the same no matter how wide the tyres are (assuming the same tyre pressures).

What will change is the shape of the contact patch though, which is where it gets interesting.

40inches

posted on 1/5/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty
quote:
quote:

He didn't say it doesn't make any difference. He just said the contact patch will be the same no matter how wide the tyres are (assuming the same tyre pressures).

What will change is the shape of the contact patch though, which is where it gets interesting.

That's what I have always understood, that the contact patch gets wider and thinner as the tyre width increases "at the same tyre pressure" therefore to increase the contact patch area the pressure is reduced. Correct?
I'm not being arsey by the way, just very interested

Frosty

posted on 1/5/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's what I have always understood, that the contact patch gets wider and thinner as the tyre width increases "at the same tyre pressure" therefore to increase the contact patch area the pressure is reduced. Correct?
I'm not being arsey by the way, just very interested

That's right, the only ways to actually increase the contact patch of the tyre are:

a) Reduce the tyre pressure.

b) Increase the weight on the tyre.

If a tyre is inflated to 30 lbs per square inch, each square inch of tyre is supporting 30lb of weight.

So if you have 200lb of weight on a tyre inflated to 30psi, you have a contact patch of 6.66 square inches. If you have a 185 tyre, the contact patch will be 7.3 inches wide, and (if I have done my sums right) 0.91 inches long.

The contact of a 235 tyre would be 9.25 inches wide, and 0.72 inches.

So the contact patch is always the same, but the shape of it is different.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 3/5/10 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
ok im looking to sort out my wheels and tyres due to the increased bhp and torque from my new engine

now this is on a viento so if anybody says that i need 13" rims i will have to come round and slap you

now to my question:

which one of these tyres would give me the biggest foot print?

245/55/16 on a 7" wide rim (yes they will fit) running 18psi OR

255/40/17 on a 9" wide rim running 18psi

now i guess the 16" rims and tyres will be lighter but being a viento its not the lightest of cars, all i want is the biggest contact area to try and cut down the wheel spin in first, second and third

in my mind i am thinking the 245/55/16 will give me the biggest contact area but what does everybody else think?

I think you could use softer tires

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.