Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scratch building RC Planes... Which plan(s) to go for???
Steve Hignett

posted on 10/5/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Scratch building RC Planes... Which plan(s) to go for???

Hi All,

I am thinking of a future project to commence over the next few months.

I used to have an RC helicopter and loved it although it was quite difficult to learn initially!

I'm after something a bit more leisurely but also more of a project and I know there's quite a few modellers on here...

So, can anyone suggest a good model to get stuck into that would require scratch building?

I'd love to see photo/pics/images of what you suggest if that's poss too

I'd like something of a decent size, but at the same time, do not have a great deal of money for a large engine, so don't really know what size togo for!

Would like it be a real challenge to construct, but not stupidly difficult (I do want to finish it within a year )

I also, don't have any radio gear whatsoever, so if people can suggest that for me too I'd appreciate it! I am thinking purely of getting stuff 2nd hand to keep costs down (ebay)

Would love it if it was a plane that could be developed as the project develops, both in the way it flies but also construction, for eg, going to an ultra lightweight pre-preg fuselage/wing etc

Cheers in advance!

Steve

Davey D

posted on 10/5/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
When you say scratch build do you mean cutting it all out of plain balsa sheets? If so there are plans every month free in RCM&E magazine
Steve Hignett

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I mean that or cutting out of foam, or composite material construction etc...

I've seen the plans in those magazines every now and again, but since I don't know what I'm looking at/for, I was hoping for some insight from experienced modellers on here

thepest

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Carefull not to go too small, I'd stick to 50inch wingspan.

These have been my hobby since I was 12... ah such memories

thepest

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'd build this one:
http://www.modelplaneblog.com/?page_id=36

its 1984, might be difficult to find those plans but it was a damn good flyer!

woolly

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
best fun plane i have ever built was a WOT4 or keep it cheap go slope soaring.

enjoy

Steve Hignett

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
There really aren't any slopes near me, and with a young baby, I was hoping to keep my next hobby/project as close to home as possible!

A powered soarer was my first thought, then I got to thinking of the construction itself as the project (as we tend to do on here )

prawnabie

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Steve I have a hyperion mustang (1.20m wingspan) that needs a bit of work if you want something to practice with!
BenB

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how well you can fly. If you're a beginner how about a nice old timer style floatee plane. Something like a Junior60. That'll get your balsa fettling skills up to date!
hicost blade

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Depends how well you can fly. If you're a beginner how about a nice old timer style floatee plane. Something like a Junior60. That'll get your balsa fettling skills up to date!

I was just about to say Junior or Super 60 although they can be quite tricky as they can warp all over the place if you’re not careful

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=85

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=131

hicost blade

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Then build a 50cc Extra and learn to hover again........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqiYJuONPs&feature=related

[Edited on 11/5/10 by hicost blade]

andrew-theasby

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
My two suggestions were also going to be wot 4 or junior 60 but as already said, it would depend on your flying skills. Id reccomend a Futaba FF6 radio, will do all you need for a long time, and cheap enough now on ebay, £70 should get you a good 2nd hand set.
richardlee237

posted on 11/5/10 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
See link below for plans

Traplet linky dinky

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

Davey D

posted on 11/5/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost blade
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

I was just about to say Junior or Super 60 although they can be quite tricky as they can warp all over the place if you’re not careful

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=85

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=131

While i was building my VortX my wife built up a Ben Buckle Jnr 60. She then stuck an OS 32SX engine in it needless to say it climbs like a homesick angel. it can be flown quite happily on about 1/4 throttle

tony-devon

posted on 11/5/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
if you can fly a plane or seeing as your already comfortable with a heli, I would not build or buy a high wing trainer

they are very boring very quickly

if you really have to, then go large and have some fun with cameras etc

personally I would look at a mid wing war bird, a nice mustang for example

but like the others I would have to say that the Chris Foss WOT4 is/was a superb model I had one for many years.

if your down devon way anytime I got a highboy trainer thing with engine and servos that I would happily pass on for a pint or 2, to someone that might want to learn

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I like my electric Zagi. Very flyable, bounces very well and (quite usefully as I fly it over Rutland water mostly) it floats
andrew-theasby

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

if your down devon way anytime I got a highboy trainer thing with engine and servos that I would happily pass on for a pint or 2, to someone that might want to learn

And ive got a leftover spare wing for a hi-boy too if your up the other end of the country

Steve Hignett

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's two bloody places that I'm desperate to be in and cannot get to either!!!

Anyone fancy helping???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.