Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions for a 2001 bike engine
renrut

posted on 7/6/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions for a 2001 bike engine

I'm building a bike engined middy seicento at the minute and one big concern that has reared its head is emissions.

Specifically will I need a CAT? Its not entirely clear if I do or don't. The bike engine didn't have one originally but the car I've put it in did (1998 car). So what emissions level will I have to meet and are there any tricks I can try to lower the level?

For the curious the engine is a Honda VTR1000 Sp-1 from 2001. Its an injection engine so a remap may be possible with a power commander but I'd rather not go there if I can avoid it.

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

eznfrank

posted on 7/6/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you will need a cat. Get a Power Commander if you can you should be able to use that to create a map that will get you through emissions. Might not be wise to run it on an IVA map for a long time though.

It's probably wise to get one anyway as the standard map probably not entirely suitable for in the car

[Edited on 7/6/10 by eznfrank]

renrut

posted on 7/6/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Thats the bit I was worried about

I'm building it for the PPC999 challenge this year so budget is very very tight, certainly not enough for a power commander.

Is there any other tricks I can pull just for the MOT e.g. lean out the fuelling by lowering the pressure? Put a cap on revs and running it lower? Clutching at straws because I've realised I've nearly built a car and found it may not be eligible

I've spoken to the guys running it and they said just an MOT is required to be judged road legal rather than full IVA (I'll be trailering it to and from). I'll be getting the IVA done over winter when I've got more time.

This might create other problems as I'll need to send the V5 off to tell them it has a different engine, otherwise I'll need to meet the emissions regs for the original fiat 8V.

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/6/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
There was a posting earlier on here about some crazy concoction in the tank that would get you through on emissions.

Thinners, petrol, all sorts in there. No idea if it works.

Matt

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/6/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
There's a gap 2000-2002, or so , where STATUS couldn't decide what to do with emmissions.... which is where my car sits with no data on the V5. various engines have been in there, all of which have been nightmares to MoT to the 'default' level, lambda, etc., ie. Catalyst.

I have a catalyst can from my old Volvo, attached to another (unknown) one that goes on the car for the MoT. Fuel pressure is reduced to the point at which the engine will just about run, I then play with the Power Commander with the MoT probe up the tailpipe.....

Vast amounts of MTBE or anything else that oxygenates the fuel will help too, but don't try nitrates (of course).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.