Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fun with CAD
zilspeed

posted on 17/10/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Fun with CAD

Seeing as I learnt a couple of new techniques from a thread in here the other day, I've been playing with them in CAD.

I give you, inlet and exhaust manifolds for a 5 cylinder engine complete with 5 into 1 collector.
Had to do a 5, just because.

Now, how do I make them.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Incidentally, the inlet manifold design is pretty atrocious, the outer cylinders would be seriously starved.
It was just fun using the loft / union / subtract and extrude commands.

renrut

posted on 17/10/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
That's the beauty of CAD, anything you can think of you can draw, but it doesn't mean you can make it. That's where the technical skills come in.

Although looking at those there is nothing there that can't be made. Have a look at the intake manifold for a Jag V6, very complex shape but its a single casting. I'm not entirely sure how they make them.

zilspeed

posted on 17/10/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renrut
That's the beauty of CAD, anything you can think of you can draw, but it doesn't mean you can make it. That's where the technical skills come in.

Although looking at those there is nothing there that can't be made. Have a look at the intake manifold for a Jag V6, very complex shape but its a single casting. I'm not entirely sure how they make them.

I take your point entirely.
What I'm working on in my head is thinking of how to make the jump between being able to draw something and being able to make it.

I've redone the collector, but with it in mind from the start that I wanted to cut it into 5 slices. So my base was a pentangle and all the slices were based on that.

We now end up with some small parts that are perfectly capable of being made.

I know exhaust manufacturers have been doing this for years, but I think the only place I've seen it done quite like this was an inconel exhaust on an F1 car or a V8 powered hillclimb car.

[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.