Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Electric Reverse
Goodwoodracer

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Electric Reverse

Hi fellow Locosters, I have just joined so please be gentle with me.

I own a MK Indy fitted with a Yamaha ZZ1200 engine, I have purchased a electric reverse gear kit from MK but it comes with no fitting instructions at all.

Has anyone out there fitted one of these kits and if so can you give me some pointers.

I did ask MK for fitting instructions but as it took 3 emails and 3 phone call to even get my reverse kit and it cost £360 they must think customers are a pain in the ar** so do not really feel like phoning them again, now what I mean!

Many thanks

Goodwoodracer

dan__wright

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
mk can be a bit of a pain getting stuff out the door but they are good if you need help with stuff, call them and speak to phil and he will get you sorted.

as for fitting, i think there is normally two threaded tubes welded in the prop tunnel near the diff?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

phoenix70

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you post some picture of what you get in the MK electric reverse kit, it seems to be just a starter motor and a ring gear, just wondered what else they give you to justify the £360 price tag.

Cheers

Scott

TimC

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you post some picture of what you get in the MK electric reverse kit, it seems to be just a starter motor and a ring gear, just wondered what else they give you to justify the £360 price tag.

Cheers

Scott

As above please.

Goodwoodracer

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input lads!

Must say I joined the MK owners club what a waste of time or am I the only member perhaps that why no one replies but you lads are smoking!

Regards the Reverse Kit, ypu all you get for £360 is one slightly modfied starter motor and a small ring gear oh yes I forgot you also get a push button, wow!

Will phone MK next week as suggested and let you know how I got on.

Thanks for the help

Goodwoodracer

phoenix70

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Any chance of some picture of the modification, I'm sure someone on here could modify them at a fraction of the cost. I know it doesn't help you much (as you've already paid) but for other, you never know maybe we can come up with a locost method of fitting a reverse.

BTW the reason I'm asking cause I don't want to pay £360 for a gear I won't use much, my car is on the road so I don't need a reverse for the IVA or anything, just for my piece of mind of having if I need it.

Cheers.

Davg

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, should help shed some light!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=110570

phoenix70

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
Guys, should help shed some light!

Cheers, I must of missed that thread.

I know the kitcar market is pretty niche, but that must be one of the biggest rip off's i've every seen. £360 for a £100 starter motor and a £80 sprocket.

I'm in the wrong business it would seem

Cheer

Scott

[Edited on 21/10/10 by phoenix70]

TimC

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Really interesting thread though....

Edit as I'm talking nonsense... I think.

[Edited on 21/10/10 by TimC]

locostbuyer83

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
i ended up going with a reverse box for my indy. works great and seems a lot easier to install.
Goodwoodracer

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Daveg your a star *****

Within a few hours I have pictures showing me exactly what I needed, fantastic.

Have a look at the link below provided by Dave

Regards, Goodwoodracer.

PS. I am moving the handbrake as my arm smashes into it all the time, anyone any ideas where to move it to for easy usage but out of the way.

I wish I had joined this website before I waisted all my time on the others, keep it up lads, well done and thanks to all who joined in.

franky

posted on 21/10/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you took my advice on PH. This is the place to be for info
shorts

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
electric reverse

quote:
Originally posted by Goodwoodracer
Hi fellow Locosters, I have just joined so please be gentle with me.

I own a MK Indy fitted with a Yamaha ZZ1200 engine, I have purchased a electric reverse gear kit from MK but it comes with no fitting instructions at all.

make sure you use longer bolts through your prop shaft flang.

Dave

Has anyone out there fitted one of these kits and if so can you give me some pointers.

I did ask MK for fitting instructions but as it took 3 emails and 3 phone call to even get my reverse kit and it cost £360 they must think customers are a pain in the ar** so do not really feel like phoning them again, now what I mean!

Many thanks

Goodwoodracer

RK

posted on 24/10/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
re. pricing for kit car parts: there is no money to be made if you don't add profit.

The problem is that every supplier thinks they deserve 100% markup on everything. Therefore, your 100 pound starter becomes 200 pounds once the kit manufacturer gets a hold of it. That's why the kit modules are often more expensive than if you sourced everything yourself. They often buy the stuff at the same price you could get it for, since they don't get big volume discounts.

Alan B

posted on 2/11/10 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps threads like this are the reason why stuff costs what it does....
I'm sure MK don't really want be in the reverse kit business, but I'm sure enough people have badgered them into doing it....but they aren't a charity and the R and D costs have to be covered somewhere...but here's the twist...unless they charge enough they will never be back in pocket because by now everyone has copied it.

Everything looks simple after someone else has developed the product...coming up with a simple and easy solution is not never an easy process.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
noc231073

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Btw on wiring the reverse kit. Have you wired the switch for the reverse through a relay and a fuse

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.