I'm in need of a set of winter tyres

195/45/16

Any ideas where I can order some online, locally no one can help

Thanks
Stuart

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/12/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I buy a lot of tyres from here usually reasonably priced link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

locostbuyer83

posted on 1/12/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I buy a lot of tyres from here usually reasonably priced link

Thanks, they dont have any either

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Try mytyres.co.uk they seem to have some

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

lewis

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
By the time they are delivered the snow would have melted
v8kid

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bought mine from Pneus Online but took 5 days to get from Holland. Seriously cheap though and just the thing for up here

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Camskill
locostbuyer83

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Bought mine from Pneus Online but took 5 days to get from Holland. Seriously cheap though and just the thing for up here

good prices... that sites worth knowing about buy they only have 1 option and its £157 each. Was quoted £80 each from kwickfit but they can't get them in for 3 weeks!

locostbuyer83

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
Camskill

-NO STOCK-

doh

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Wherever you get them from I'd hurry up before they hike the prices through the roof

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Full winter/snow/mountain tyres (marked with snow-flake or mountain symbol) are like rocking horse droppings at the moment. Germany has just made winter tyres compulsary and manufacturers are diverting thier stocks there.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

R1 STRIKER

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
My father inlaw to be has a tyre place in Hereford, We've spent most of the last 2 days trying to get winter tyres. It's pretty much impossible now. Did manage to get a load of 205/55/16's this morning but were all gone by lunch time! Think the best lookiong ones we've seen are probably the Avon Ice tyres.
loggyboy

posted on 1/12/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay,

I paid £120 for 4 part worn continental winters in 205 50 17s. 2 were 5mm 2 were 4mm, so more than enough for this winter

Also try some other sizes, or even consider a 2nd set of rims of a different size, the price you pay for rims and tyres of a more common size could save you more than buying just the tyres for your current rims

[Edited on 1/12/10 by loggyboy]

JoelP

posted on 1/12/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
i got a pair of nearly new wheels and tyres for the van from a scrapyard for £50, including vat which i'll get back. They look like new, even bobbles on the sides. Then bought a new pair for the front, £120 again inc vat.

These arent snow tyres, just normal commercial tyres with a fairly rough tread, and i swear ive never felt such good grip. This morning i was pulling a trailer with a train weight of 4700kgs, and it was unstoppable. So i think that a certain part of the hype about snow tyres is simply the aggressive tread, and the fact that they are obviously new so not worn. The different compound is just another string in its bow.

I wouldnt bother with snow tyres this time round, if its takes 5 days to arrive and get fitted then you've nearly missed it. Just get fresh tyres that havent got a sporty tread, and buy some snow tyres in the summer when the prices wont be through the roof.

All IMHO.

adithorp

posted on 1/12/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
A true snow tyre is not about a blocky tread. It has 3 elements. Softer compound which stays soft due to higher silica content in low temps. The groves are cut to encourage snow to fall out rather than packing in. The tread blocks have multiple small zig-zag cuts in them that, as the tread block deforms under power or braking, grip the snow.

Unless you've used them you won't believe the grip.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.