Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best bare metal primer?
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/5/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Best bare metal primer?

just having a break, been sanding the beetles body down and all that surface rust is vanishing, thankfully

still got some welding to do but now need to protect the area's I have cleaned before they start rusting again...

was thinking of a zinc primer but have quite a bit of body work to cover and halfords only sells small cans of the stuff and I don't want to go to the hassle of a spray gun just now due to the mess they make.

Can anyone recommend a product they have used?

Cheers

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Michael

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bonda Primer

Have used up 2.5 litre tin on the car, and just been and brought another 1.5 litre tin to do the last odd bits.

It brushes on and went through IVA in just that, and is quite hard wearing as its lived up to being scrapped getting in and out of the car.

austin man

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
why not buy zinc rich primer from you local paint stockist or use etch primer and a quick guide coat of paint to seal plustit will also help to find hicgh spots when you flat it

[Edited on 29/5/11 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have used bonda primer and etch.
Difficult to say what is the best. I painted a chassis with bonda 17 years ago, and it stood up very well (it had a coat of stonechip, plus some celly topcoat)

Likewise, etch is very good. The wash etch primers are excellent, as is upol acid8.

For ultimate protection galvafroid, but deep pockets needed plus it isn't pretty.

On balance, I would go for, errrr, either bonda primer or acid8

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.