Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remote oil filter fitting
Neil P

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Remote oil filter fitting

Hi all,

I have a Toyota 4age engine in my car which has the standard oil cooler fitted. Because of the way the exhaust runs there isn't enough room to fit the standard oil filter and it's even too tight to fit the half size type without 'adjusting' the top of it (in a hit it with a hammer type way).

Is it as easy as it appears, simply to fit a remote filter head in the oil lines to or from the cooler and if so, any ideas on how I might blank off the original filter?

Cheers

Neil

snapper

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Normally you need an oil cooler take off plate with the now extended oil filter position blanked off the the oil out flow goes to the new remote filter adaptor and back to the block/takeoff adaptor.
If you run an oil cooler and want a thermostat, place this after the remote oil cooler adaptor.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

voucht
Contributor

Posts 237
Registered 22/5/11

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
To blank off the original filter port, you just need a "blanking cap" (we call it "Chinese hat" !)
Please look at the pictures I uploaded for you :
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Derivations.jpg
This is the copy of a page of the catalogue I realized this year for the company I'm working for, it is in French, but pictures have no language ! The cap you need is the part called Couvercle "Chapeau Chinois" at the bottom right corner of the page. You will have to check and know the thread of the Toyota oil filter to order the correct one.
There are also sketches of different way to make oil derivation, for engine who doesn't have an oil cooling circuit, but it is not your case.
Hope it will give you inspiration !
If you need more infos or suppliers details, just let me know.
Cheers.
S.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neil P

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a look at the take off adapters and still think I'll struggle for space. What I'm considering is running the existing cooler in series with a remote filter so it would go from the block through the cooler then through the filter then back to the block. I'm presuming that the loop to the cooler is suitable for putting a filter into. I've read a couple of things about reduced/slow pressure rise with a remote filter setup and don't want to create problems for myself.

Neil

Neil P

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Voucht, thanks, does that part have a removable central column? That would make it pretty much flat and would be ideal.

Neil

voucht
Contributor

Posts 237
Registered 22/5/11

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 31/5/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Niel,
No, you cannot remove the central part, as the cap is a one piece aluminium cast. Why do you want to do that ? Once screwed into the original oil filter port, the cap is very flat (the "column" par is inside the engine block) . Or is it because you're afraid you won't have enough space just to fit it ? If yes, I think it is worth to remove parts that are on the way just the time to fit it.
For your remote filter head, normally, if you respect the diameters of the fittings and adaptor on the oil line, there is absolutely no reason you loose oil pressure. The restrictions are usually made first by the hose, the fittings/adapters on the line, before being done by the remote filter head (where the ports are big and oil flow freely if you compare to an oil cooler for example)
The very important thing is to plan where will be the "in" port and where will be the "out" port on the remote filter head (the oil can only flow in one direction into the oil filter), according to your circuit configuration.
Can ether be :
in on the right - out on the left
in on the left - out on the right
in and out on the right
in and out on the left
in and out on the top.
I post another copy of another page of the catalogue, so you can see what I mean and plan:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Derivations2.jpg

Good luck.
Bye.
S.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neil P

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. I didn't realize the central part would go into the block.

Cheers

Neil

[Edited on 31/5/11 by Neil P]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.