Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 08 Heavy crank case breathing
Kev99

posted on 29/10/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
R1 08 Heavy crank case breathing

Hi all

Just Done my first track day today (RAFCottesmore) with the new engine 08 R1 4C8

Had a problem with the engine breathing a lot (losing) oil out the crankcase breather

Have got a baffle plate fitted and the Rocker cover mods done

I wasn't running with R888 etc which I wish to next year which will increase the cornering load etc

Any Ideas how to stop this from losing oil

Kev................

adithorp

posted on 29/10/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
So you've got a breather off the cam cover AIS valve boxes and T'd into the crank breather then into a catch tank/bottle?

If there's still oil going to the tank then how far vertically does the gearbox/crank breather go before the T and then to the bottle? If there's not a lot of height then oil could still go up it and drain to the tank. Mine goes as high as the top TB's before the T. I also put gauze in the breathers boxes (ex AIS valves) on the cam cover and the pipe of the gearbox (just folded and rolled up expanded ally mesh) to restrict the flow of oil should there be any but still allow it to breath.

Mine's 06 but the same should apply. I get nothing in my catch bottle except some condensation if doing short runs. It's completely empty after a track day.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Kev99

posted on 29/10/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So you've got a breather off the cam cover AIS valve boxes and T'd into the crank breather then into a catch tank/bottle?

no its just a breather atm will do this and see if that solves the problem

Ive never had a problem on the Road with it but it was the first track day its done

Thanks for the reply

Kev............

kjouk

posted on 31/10/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye on oil temps as well. When I had this problem it was typically on last session of trackday when pushing the hardest. Fitting a small catch tank above the crank breather and a oil cooler sorted things.

Edit: See pics in my Photo Archive

[Edited on 31/10/11 by kjouk]

jimgiblett

posted on 31/10/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Also dependant on the oil used. When using Redline my old R1 used to mist oil loads but when I swapped to Castrol no probs at all.

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.