Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where to get spring spacers?
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
where to get spring spacers?

Anyone know where I can get some spring spacers? I've got new springs for the front of my car and would like to stiffen up the back by putting the old front springs on the back, but they're an inch shorter and I can't move the spring platform far enough to adjust for this. I just need a pair of 2.25" spacers but can't find anyone who sells these... ideas?

thanks

femster87

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
google came up with a few. sorry not been much help. But i typed itinto google and it came up with a few places
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I tried that and found nothing in the UK. There were a few that sell adaptors to work with helper springs but nothing that will just sit on the spring platform?
femster87

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
wellspacedout.co.uk?

Just noticed it does not comeup on the front page just use the search tab on the top righthand corner.HTH

[Edited on 7/11/11 by femster87]

Dusty

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Faulkner do them and they're called helper springs.D Faulkner

[Edited on 7/11/11 by Dusty]

rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, helper springs would do the job too. But this seems like it would be more complicated and expensive than just a simple solid block of aluminium/steel. Is there an advantage to using helper springs over a solid spacer?
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, a little playing with Excel shows that stiffer springs mean less droop travel (obviously really), regardless of spring length. With the harder springs I'll struggle to get enough droop travel (I've read here that 1.5" is recommended at the rear, I'm looking at about 1.1" ) so helper springs will fill the gap where a solid spacer wouldn't. Helpers it is then.

If droop travel wasn't a problem then I guess it would make no difference which I had as the helper would always be fully compressed and acting like a solid spacer.

[Edited on 7/11/11 by rodgling]

vonmoogen

posted on 7/11/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pair of helper springs and the seats that I'm sure are 2.25" that are going spare if they're of any use?
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
They would indeed thanks, how much would you like for them?
vonmoogen

posted on 7/11/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent
phelpsa

posted on 7/11/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to maintain the same ride height then you're gonna need solid spacers. You're also going to risk going coil bound if your springs are too short.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Why would helpers prevent me from keeping the same ride height? Except for in droop they'll be fully compressed, so would behave exactly like a solid spacer?

I'll only be going from a 9" to a (stiffer) 8" spring, as it's not a huge change I don't think getting coilbound should be an issue.... we'll see.

phelpsa

posted on 7/11/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Why would helpers prevent me from keeping the same ride height? Except for in droop they'll be fully compressed, so would behave exactly like a solid spacer?

I'll only be going from a 9" to a (stiffer) 8" spring, as it's not a huge change I don't think getting coilbound should be an issue.... we'll see.

A spacer that's around 5mm thick. Is that enough to maintain the correct ride height? If so that its all fine!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 7/11/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, didn't realise the helpers were so slim when fully compressed. I guess there will be an adaptor between it and the main spring which will add another 5mm or so, but no, that's not going to be enough.

I guess it's easy enough to make some spacers out of aluminium, will look into this.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.