Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - what is the minimum legal width for access to property
MK9R

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
OT - what is the minimum legal width for access to property

We own some land that a neihbour has rights to cross to enter their property (only access route). Due to the types of people and the frequency of visitors we want to fence the area in so we don't have to see them or have them looking into our property. We own the land so can do what ever we want with it so I don't sEe an issue with it, but I want to make the access route as small as possible so it impacts as little as possible onto our land, so my question is, does any one know if yhere is a legal minimum size, especially as its the only access/exit route for the flat. Ideally I'd burn the flat down with all the scum locked inside, but then I may get in trouble, even though I'd be doing the world a favour!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Walkway or vehicle access?
For walkway and you should heck with local planning 1 to 1.2 meters

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MK9R

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Walkway or vehicle access?
For walkway and you should heck with local planning 1 to 1.2 meters

Walkway. So you reckon I should speak to local council?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
they would give a proper answer and less chance of a fuss if they are involved
MK9R

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
wAs hoping it was 600mm so I could make his life poo like he has for us!s

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 14/12/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
^^ put a chicane in it then, that'll make it a PITA and you get a nice garden feature

[Edited on 14/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

owelly

posted on 14/12/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that there may be a need for disabled access and also access for emergency services. Also check your deeds to see exactly what rights they have over your land.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

whitestu

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

put a chicane in it then, that'll make it a PITA and you get a nice garden feature

Or even better a maze that you can modify every few weeks to keep them on their toes!

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
1.2meters is the recommended width for disabled access.

Spiky hedge perhaps would continually impinge on the walkway which be the sort of annoyance that would go on giving.

speedyxjs

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know an emergency fire exit needs to be 4ft so would imagine it would be the same for your walkway (1.2 metres?)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

big-vee-twin

posted on 14/12/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would advise you to seek some legal advice, my parents house has an access over their land for neighbors, my Dad wanted to do the same as you and after an expensive legal battle, didn't get anywhere and the land remains open.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

wilkingj

posted on 14/12/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I would advise you to seek some legal advice, my parents house has an access over their land for neighbors, my Dad wanted to do the same as you and after an expensive legal battle, didn't get anywhere and the land remains open.

Totally agree. Get good sound legal advice first.
Last thing you want is these people taking you to court.
You could end up undoing all the work you did in the first place, and then end up vastly out of pocket.

All property related things can lead to vastly expensive times in court.

What ever you do, do it properly and with good written legal advice.
Consult with the council as well.

Dont go it alone.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
And by the sound of it they will get legal aid and free advice from every do-gooding agency out there, whereas you will have to pay if it gets nasty. Really gets to me some of this stuff
MK9R

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
And by the sound of it they will get legal aid and free advice from every do-gooding agency out there, whereas you will have to pay if it gets nasty. Really gets to me some of this stuff

As some have you have guessed, none of these people work or pay the rent on the flat, so I'm gonna talk with the landlord who seems a decent chap, if I can get him onside it should help.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hughpinder

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you do the spikey hedge thing, dont forget its your hedge and they can complain to the council to force you to cut it if it impinges on their access - if you won't cut it the council will and then bill you for it!
Regards
Hugh

pif

posted on 15/12/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Austen,

I have had similar before. it was a public footpath through the family farm and yard. Very difficult to fence off etc but you can go about your normal business on your own land which unfortunatley may impeed on them.

A cctv camera protecting your property can be offputting to some sections of society who may have something to hide.

A big dog on a chain just shorter than the diameter of the space is offputting too.

A dripping tap that may freeze the floor area can be "dangerous".....

You wouldnt believe how much "MESS" a few chickens can leave on a floor space when left to it.

prickly bushes are a useful tool also.

sticky gates, rusty slide bolts, seized hinges, jammed padlocks that you have provided them a key for can all help people find an alternative route.

Pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/12/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
As some have you have guessed, none of these people work or pay the rent on the flat, so I'm gonna talk with the landlord who seems a decent chap, if I can get him onside it should help.

Talking to him sounds like the best first step. He probably doesn't like them either, but circumstances may have him cornered. It seems tempting to hand a flat over to the council on a long term contract, but you then do not get the chance to decide who lives in it. (it may be this sort of scheme?) anyway, landlords are mainly decent folk who do not want grief with neighbours. I am sure you can work something out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.