Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are those hex head pozi drive screws called?
renrut

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
What are those hex head pozi drive screws called?

Hope this is the most appropriate section if not mods please move.

I'm trying to find out what the proper name for those head head screws with a pozi/phillips cross in the head and I'm hoping someone on this massive forum will know the answer.

I'm after getting some as spares as I quite like the way they can be removed with a multitude of tools. Not for anything load bearing just for fastening down little things (cables, pipes, trim etc) when necessary.

Cheers

Why are all the fun things in life expensive!

MakeEverything

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Gutter bolts, or roofing bolts?

Are they bolt threaded or self tapping?

Or are you looking for the ones like you get on hose clamps.

[Edited on 9-1-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Or zip in screws?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=hex+head+posi+bolt&oq=hex+he ad+posi+bolt&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=123585l125968l0l126115l9l9l0l4l0l0l159l404l4.1l5l0

8th row down on the left.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

renrut

posted on 9/1/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Gutter bolts, or roofing bolts?

Are they bolt threaded or self tapping?

Or are you looking for the ones like you get on hose clamps.

Bolt threaded with a bit of a tapered lead in is what I'm really after.

Heads like the ones on hose clamps but with the pozi/phillips not flat.

I've found some places call them SEMs, others call them Combi screws. But all of these seem to have washers intergrated in some form, not a problem as I'd be using washers anyway.

Spoken to a couple of firms both know what I mean but couldn't tell me what the 'official' name for them is or any ANSI / BS / ISO designations. But they said they'd have a look and get back to me.

gazza285

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
What, a self tapper?

I only know that you can get them easily in 6-32 size, for buttoning up computer cases, that's just shy of 4mm, not sure about bigger ones unless you buy a gazillion from China.

[Edited on 9/1/12 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware car manufacturers use them because they are cheap and easy for unskilled workers to put in, not because they are good.
If you ever have to remove one it'll not work as well when screwed up again. Rivnuts are a better solution, but take a a little longer to fit the first time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tul214

posted on 9/1/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tech screws?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

renrut

posted on 9/1/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I want a tapered lead in, not really a self tapper. And it needs to be a proper machine screw thread e.g. M6 or whatever.

I'm after a set screw type to use with rivnuts so I can't see the problem with reusing them.

The car manufacturers use them because its cheaper to use them than have the cheap unskilled labour faffing around with putting washers on screws.

Should have some prices tomorrow and hopefully some sort of official identification on the quotation too.

iank

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renrut
I want a tapered lead in, not really a self tapper. And it needs to be a proper machine screw thread e.g. M6 or whatever.

I'm after a set screw type to use with rivnuts so I can't see the problem with reusing them.

The car manufacturers use them because its cheaper to use them than have the cheap unskilled labour faffing around with putting washers on screws.

Should have some prices tomorrow and hopefully some sort of official identification on the quotation too.

Never seen such a thing, but if it's got a proper thread into a rivnut it'll be fine (except for looking like a cheap self-tapper )

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renrut

Flange head bolts ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

renrut

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Flange head bolts ?

That seems to be name used by the supplier has offered although it doesn't have the pozi/phillips cross in the heads which was something I really wanted as I meant they could be removed with a screw driver without hunting for a socket set.

I remember pulling loads of them off a 1980s Toyota a few years back, lots of different sizes (M3 up to about M8, all metric) and lots of different types of thread from standard bolts/screws to typical self tappers and even weird thread cutting ones with slots in them. Figured there must be an 'official' name for them but even the industry people I've spoken to don't seem to know

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.