Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DPF Removal?
coozer

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
DPF Removal?

Anyone done this?

My 1.9JTD needs a new one so its coming off. Need a remap to remove the regeneration bit..

Any recomendations?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dray13dad

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
why do you need a new one??
if its blocked why try regeneration or remove it and clean it (steam clean)

steve m

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack, but can you manually get the DPF to regenerate (Ford 2.0 TDCI)

Steve

austin man

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I know Pendle Performance does dpf delete. I think once they have got to a certain point in their life they are goosed so need replacing or removing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dray13dad

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
no steve its a set program where the car is over fueled and so run at a hotter temp to burn it clean. if you can remove and clean. have done this on a few psa deseils with some results. would suggest high pressure steam clean
coozer

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
My commute is 1.1 miles each way with 12 hours in between, then maybe 1~2 short motorway trips a year. Around 5~6k is what I average. I dont do enough miles for it to regenerate.

That aint enough to keep the DPF in good order plus I'd rather have a freer breather more economical motor.

The car has done 101k, around 14k a year that has invovled trips between Sunderland and Barcelona 3 or 4 times a year by the previuos owner. If that aint enough to keep it clean nowt is, especially the way I'm going to use it.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dray13dad

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
then best use a low saps/low ash engine oil,i have seen that you can get a fuel addertive that is also supposed to help with dpf life.
steve m

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dray, for the reply,

I have had the fan come on a couple of times, while still cold, but was not in a position to wait for the regeneration, (work)
i have been told that a 20 mins blast down the motorway keeping the revs above 3k did a regeneration, but havnt tried it yet

steve

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
replace the dpf with a stright peice of pipe, leave the sensors in place before and after. the ecu will need resetting but it will obviosuly never block up again. The guy i use for mapping has done this to loads of taxi's in lancashire, only on PSA and VW diesels though, but i cant imagine the fiat being that different. Most descent remap companies should know what there doing.

Will

jase380

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Had my E320 merc done for much the same reason as you coozer, short commute, not enough long runs to clean itself. I used http://www.ecuflash.co.uk/. they removed the dpf filter, remapped the ecu so it forgets all about the dpf and gave a boost in power. 2 months later all is good, car is better on fuel and goes like stink. i took the car to sheffield for the dpf removing, then Andy from ecu flash came through and sorted the ecu, could not fault the service at all.
AdrianH

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Please do not bite my head off for this comment, but could removing a PDF not mean an MOT failure after April this year or is it only CAT's?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

nick205

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
My commute is 1.1 miles each way with 12 hours in between

Not be funny, but wouldn't a push bike or walking be better?

hillbillyracer

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

It may indeed some of the time but living in the forgotten north I expect the weather will be less than kind on many days & with a 12 hour wait between at least one way will be in the dark. And then if you need to carry something....
I commute just under 4 miles & when it suits I go on the push bike which takes 20-30 mins but most of the time it's just not suitable.

Short journeys like this are what diesels are really unsuited to, the more modern stuff with DPF even more so. A petrol at such low mileages would be far better but you buy what's available at the right money that will do what you need when you need it.

coozer

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Well, I'm a lazy fat git and carrying all my stuff is not very good for me, also theres a green belt with a load of pikeys and dont fancy wandering past at 2am... if it was flat I would use a bike, but, nowhere to leave it at work...

AND, my old Pug 106 1.5D has been fantastic for the small go. No dpf, no electronics and 80mpg.. now I'm wondering why I've changed it.... there again, no power, no pas, and no room for the free pallets I get for the home fire

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

baz-R

posted on 15/2/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
What I can't work out is if the pressure sensors that look to see if the DPF are left in and the DPF removed surely
the ecu will not want to switch to regen mode and everything will work as normal.
Also when a car goes into regen mode fuel is injected late and is not fully burnt and carrys on burning in manifold turbo and down to dpf to burn out carbon blocking it.
Think of it working a bit like anti lag but for diesels

Alan M

posted on 15/2/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion the car could overheat if the DPF is removed.
Exhaust gas recirculation is used to cool the engine, as diesels are now running on a very lean mixture and are getting marginal on overheating

coozer

posted on 15/2/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
Exhaust gas recirculation is used to cool the engine, as diesels are now running on a very lean mixture and are getting marginal on overheating

DPF is nowt to do with egr.....

How can removing a considerable restriction forom an exhaust cause overheating?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daviep

posted on 15/2/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think you might be a little confused about how a diesel works - diesels cannot run lean in the same sense that petrols can, technically they are running lean nearly all time time as there is always an excess of air in the cylinder except approaching a full load situation. The cylinder is completly filled with air on every cycle, there is no throttle in the inlet to limit air flow. If you put a little bit of diesel into the cylinder you get a little bang and some unburnt air and if you inject enough diesel to burn all the air you get a big bang, if you inject even more diesel then you get a big bang and some smoke.

EGR doesn't cool the engine in the same sense as air water, it reduces peak combustion temperatures to prevent the formation of some of the nastier emissions. I don't know the figures but I'd be surprised if the temp difference in the cooling system could be noticed with the removal of the EGR valve.

EGR causes much higher soot emissions so then we get DPF's too try and clean this up.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Alan M

posted on 15/2/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Indirect injection diesel engines used to run at 750 degrees Centigrade approx. Direct injection engines now run at 900 degrees due to the loss of cooling effect in the inlet manifold.
Think when and why an EGR valve opens - It opens when cruising or on over run. It closes on acceleration as not as much Nox is produced due to the overfueling causing a drop in combustion chamber temperature.
Therefore removing the EGR will cause excess heat build up when cruising and on over run, on starting in the combustion chamber but obviously long term, throughout the engine.
The goal of the EGR is to reduce the combustion temperature and thus reduce NOx emmisions.

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Indirect injection diesel engines used to run at 750 degrees Centigrade approx. Direct injection engines now run at 900 degrees due to the loss of cooling effect in the inlet manifold.
Think when and why an EGR valve opens - It opens when cruising or on over run. It closes on acceleration as not as much Nox is produced due to the overfueling causing a drop in combustion chamber temperature.
Therefore removing the EGR will cause excess heat build up when cruising and on over run, on starting in the combustion chamber but obviously long term, throughout the engine.
The goal of the EGR is to reduce the combustion temperature and thus reduce NOx emmisions.

May i suggest when you are in a hole stop digging.
From the above post you seem to be under the impression in-direct injection diesel engines inject fuel into the inlet manifold !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 15/2/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Re^^^^^

Sorry to the OP for the hijack

Please explain what "due to the loss of cooling effect in the inlet manifold" relates to?

Please keep in mind that I'm a simple guy.

Cheers
Davie

EDIT: I was commenting on the post above BT's...must type faster. I hadn't thought of that BT lol

[Edited on 15/2/12 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Alan M

posted on 15/2/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
To quote from Autodiagnostics and publishing.com:

"The job of the EGR valve is precisely that, to reduce the combustion chamber temperature. By reintroducing a measured amount of exhaust gas into the intake manifold and back to the combustion chamber, the actual combustion is cooled down. The purpose of this reintroduction being that the exhaust gases, although very hot, actually contain no fuel or oxygen left. Therefore, the reintroduced exhaust gases would be neutral or inert with respect to the combustion process. Reintroduction of exhaust gases or EGR operation does not take effect during idle. Actual EGR operation takes place during high load condition, cruising, and light acceleration"

and to quote from how cars work:

"The main difference between Direct and Indirect Injection is the layout of the injection system, the Indirect Injection System actually has a small swirl chamber above the cylinder, where the fuel is injected"

On a direct injection system, the fuel is injected directly in to the combustion chamber.

Apologies for not being grammatically correct in my earlier post. I was just trying to get across the difference in combustion chamber temperature

Alan M

posted on 15/2/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
To quote from another website (Not Wiki):

"Traditional (indirect) fuel injection systems pre-mix the gasoline and air in a chamber just outside the cylinder called the intake manifold. In a direct-injection system, the air and gasoline are not pre-mixed; air comes in via the intake manifold, while the gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder"

Source: http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/directinjection.htm

sebastiaan

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
put the shovel down, please...
Alan M

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on my way

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.