Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: garage ventilation/fume extraction
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
garage ventilation/fume extraction

Could do with some ideas on getting rid of some stubborn smells. My garage is part of an extension, with a standard up and over door on the front and then a fire door into the utility. I'm finding that even with the fire door shut we're still getting strong smells in the house, the latest is GRP resin that is likely to be with us until the morning at the very least. It would appear that they're coming through the door.

Any suggestions on how I can get rid of the fumes, or at least stop them from getting in the house? Is there some way of sealing the door (while keeping the door openable of course!) Or is it worth being a bit more proactive and adding an extractor fan somewhere? Perhaps in the external garage door, if there is something suitable? Obviously I don't want to reduce my house security by cutting a big hole in the door!

SteveWalker

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
You've just reminded me of Glasplies. Many years ago I went there for everything needed to fibreglass my flat roof and they had an extractor fan in the customer area of the trade counter. It was a nice, solid, metal bladed fan, at just over head height, with no guard and a notice stating "Keep your bloody fingers out!"
T66

posted on 30/4/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
What about a bathroom extractor fan mounted on the external wall, and a shower curtain over the door into the house.

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/4/12 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
sipmle door sealing would be draught proofing products, avoid the brush type, go for something a bit firmer.
A decent extractor fan too as suggested, ideally with a good airflow. A 6" fan may be enough, and are cheap (£15approx) but you may need a "proper" extractor in there if you are using smelly stuff. Or do what a mate of mine does, has a bit of ply that fits in his garage window with a car rad fan fitted as an extractor. He does use a rather hefty 12V charger to power it though.

gottabedone

posted on 30/4/12 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
First thing that I would do is adjust your fire door and seal the rest of the gaps between your garage and the domestic part of your house - you may need to rely on this one day.
If you fit an extractor, rig it to your light but on a separate switch (for when you have the garage door open or don't need to vent any smells) but put a vent to atmosphere at the other end of the room (you need to replace the vented air with fresh air)

Steve

Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
+1 ^^

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
The fire door is a proper self sealing fire door, there's an insert that expands with heat and seals the door shut. So from a functional point of view it'll do its job. However, having looked at the door in daylight I have noticed how much of a gap there is! I'll definitely start there.

I'd not thought about fresh air inlet, that could make things awkward as there is only one external wall (apart from the garage door itself)

dhutch

posted on 30/4/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
The fire door is a proper self sealing fire door, there's an insert that expands with heat and seals the door shut. So from a functional point of view it'll do its job. However, having looked at the door in daylight I have noticed how much of a gap there is! I'll definitely start there.

That and checking for airtightness in the ceiling, between that an the room above, assuming there is one as per most extensions that include garages.

Daniel

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yes there is a room above, but the smells don't tend to go through the ceiling. As long as I keep the upstairs windows shut it doesn't get in. Obviously as soon as the windows are open it picks up the smell as it comes out of the garage door.

I think the same fire regs apply to the ceiling as well as the door, it has to tolerate several minutes of burning before the floor is compromised or smoke can get through? Not sure how it's worked out, but the materials cost enough!! Even the door was a silly price, it's made of hundreds of sheets of card so it burns off in layers.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.