Poll: Baby signs on cars [View Results]
To alert other road users to be more considerate around the BOB car?
In the case of an accident, to alert emergency services to the possible presence of a baby in the wreckage?
Because the occupants of the car are so proud of the fact that they have been procreating they feel the need to announce it to the world?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Baby signs on cars
Fred W B

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Baby signs on cars

Apparently some people like to put "Baby On Board" signs on cars that have a baby seat installed. I saw a new one the other day, it said "Mother to be on board"!

So why do people do this:

To alert other road users to be more considerate around the BOB car?

In the case of an accident, to alert emergency services to the possible presence of a baby in the wreckage?

Because the occupants of the car are so proud of the fact that they have been procreating they feel the need to announce it to the world?

I don't get it.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I get the feeling it's the first one, but since I've seen so many cars with this sign up without children in (like my own for about 6 months until it fell off somewhere) and the epidemic of invisible children I personally don't give a toss. It' might as well say "I've been to the zoo" for all I care.

If it's for the emergency services I think the child seat should be the giveaway

D Beddows

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Because they're sad w*nkers? To be honest it's what I think every time I see one

What are you supposed to do? thinking of having a 'Sole Provider for 2 Teenagers, a 2 Year Old and a Wife' ones made for when I'm on my own in the car but am worried that it might obscure my rear vision......

owelly

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
They are there as a quick visual aid to thieves that you have a £200 child seat on the back seat.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I made this point to my brother some years ago.

His repsonse was that it might mean. "We've got a baby on board, we'll probably be going a little slower than you might like, so just pass and we'll all be happy."

I'd like to think that's what it means, but you see many an erratically driven car sporting such a sticker.

v8kid

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Emergency services I think it's manditory in some states. But illegal if no kids on board

Her indoors was rammed at 80mph on the motorway and the people who phoned 999 noticed 2 car seats but no kiddies and assumed they were thrown out.

One air ambulance, three ordinary ambulances umpteen coppers and a fire engine later they discovered when her indoors came round that the seats are for the grandchildren who were at home.

One instance where a flag system used properly would have saved quite a lot of cash.

The other barsteward was charged in the ambulance and his insurance company have still not admitted liability, not that I'm bitter you understand

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
They were invented to highlight to emergency services that there might be a small baby trapped in the wreckage somewhere. Nowadays people use baby seats (usually) but not back in the day. Hence the suckers on the signs so they can be removed when the baby isn't on board.

Of course people don't understand what they're about they just get them sheep like when they have a sprog. Which completely devalues the idea of having them in the first place.....

Mr C

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its to park legitimately in the child/baby spaces at the supermarket because they can't fit their 4x4 anywhere else without damaging other cars and they are also too fat/idle/thick* to find the entrance if they park too far away from it.

*choose one some or all options that apply.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The best notice I've seen was...

"Baby on board. He's driving"

HowardB

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
they only serve one purpose, and that is to

Alert near by road users that the BOB car has a driver that is not paying attention to the road!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

whitestu

posted on 2/6/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've often found myself about to carelessly plough into the car in front, only to change my mind at the last minute when I see the BOB sign!

gottabedone

posted on 2/6/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Should also go with a warning saying that there is a pretty good chance that they are paying more attention to their creation(s) that any other road user

Steve

D Beddows

posted on 2/6/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They are there as a quick visual aid to thieves that you have a £200 child seat on the back seat.

which is worth approximately 10p the second you take it out of the shop I have around £300's worth of baby seat 'system' stuff cluttering up my garage at the moment that my little lad grew out of after less than 6 months and I'm which I'm struggling to even give away tbh

MikeR

posted on 2/6/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is everyone is paranoid you've been in an accident and won't want to risk their beloved being in a 'damaged' seat.
D Beddows

posted on 2/6/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know - ridiculous really as you can tell instantly if they're damaged and 90% of them rely completely on the car they're in to provide the safety features and are basically just seat/belt adapters. We payed peanuts for a 2nd hand one for Jake when he grew out of his little baby seat to go in one of our cars. Had no issues with it whatsoever - good industry to be in! virtualy no 2nd hand market to compete against........
Peteff

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
You usually don't see the sign till they cut in on you at the last moment, it's an excuse to drive like a knob.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You usually don't see the sign till they cut in on you at the last moment, it's an excuse to drive like a knob.

generally the way!

i like the episode of the simpsons when homer buys one and tells marge it'll be good because maybe people will stop intentionally ramming them lol then he writes his baby on board song

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 3/6/12 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
Because though we would gladly drive into anybody in our way, we are less likely to do so with a small child on board. There are people, and then there are chronologically impaired people. The fat git in his BMW is a target if there ever was one, but if he had a small, cute, not-yet-that-overweight little pumpkin on board, well, I'm going to pay more attention aren't I?

I am more bothered by the losers with the cartoons of their whole family on the back window, as if we care how many times he or she has reproduced, and how many dogs they have. While we're on the subject, I really don't like the morons who have the figure peeing on the Ford or whatever. That is truly tasteless.

Every time I leave the house, I realise how absolutely ignorant the rest of the world is. And I still can't start my kit car, so what does that make me? We're doomed.

Macbeast

posted on 3/6/12 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
" LITTLE PRINCESS ON BOARD "

Puke

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/6/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with peteff, and I bet they would be the first to give me grief if I drove anywhere near the speed limit on their precious estate! I've lost count of the times I was nearly knocked of my motor bike by some dim-wit driving either a 4x4 or the mandatory MPV BOB type tearing out of the junction because she was late for kindergarten

And while we're on the subject (well, sort of).....

...what is it that requires parking reserved for 'mother and child' to be closer to the store entrance than the disabled spaces? My wife is registered disabled and thankfully most of the time she can get around reasonably well, and we always try and leave the really close spaces for the folk who can't, i.e wheelchairs etc. Since when has having a child with you in the car made you unable to walk more than a few yards??

Rant over.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Ninehigh

posted on 3/6/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
...what is it that requires parking reserved for 'mother and child' to be closer to the store entrance than the disabled spaces? My wife is registered disabled and thankfully most of the time she can get around reasonably well, and we always try and leave the really close spaces for the folk who can't, i.e wheelchairs etc. Since when has having a child with you in the car made you unable to walk more than a few yards??

Rant over.

Personally I've found most of the child spaces to be further away than the disabled ones, and often they're further than normal spaces too (not that it stops people...)

UncleFista

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Rant over.

Not seen the ASDA Tax band parking thread ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Ninehigh

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh if they do that round here I'll be ignoring it on the basis of "I don't know what f**king band my car's in I just pay what the DVLA ask!"

MakeEverything

posted on 3/6/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Rant over.

I haven't noticed that they are closer than disabled, but,often together, but they are close to foot paths and safe walking routes. The little people can't be seen in the mirrors of the larger cars (4x4) or incompetent drivers and from experience regardless of wether your holding their hand and looking for moving vehicles, there is almost always someone starting to reverse out of a space without looking. Reverse gear, start moving, mirrors... Seems to be the sequence.

I find it useful and safer that there are closer spaces for kids, with wider margins for doors to open and get seat belts on etc.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/6/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I appreciate the fact that wider spaces are useful, seat belts on seats for kids, getting buggies in/out etc, but when you see a car park in one with kids of at least 8-10 years old in them, that is taking the we wee.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.