Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Anyone swim to get/stay fit?
TimC

posted on 22/7/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Anyone swim to get/stay fit?

Long story short: knee pretty much wrecked.

Rugby and road-running no longer an option, at least for the foreseeable.

Since I stopped running, I've piled on the weight so need to act.

Does anyone have any experience of swimming to keep fit? I've not consistently gone to a pool since I was about 11. Any tips?

Cheers.

designer

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Swimming is good, take it steady and it's good for fitness.

I got a second hand rowing machine. Does not stress any joints and works quicker than swimming.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
What about cycling Tim? Low impact and very good cardio..

See Bradly Wiggins and Cav straight after a 40mph run in? Not even out of breath!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TimC

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I got a second hand rowing machine. Does not stress any joints and works quicker than swimming.

I think the straight-to-bend movement would probably be a no-go. It is rather crunchy in that plane!

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
What about cycling Tim? Low impact and very good cardio..

See Bradly Wiggins and Cav straight after a 40mph run in? Not even out of breath!!

This may be an option. I did try a spin class and that was no good when I was pushing-on. I do suspect that I may be okay pootling but as soon as I hit hills etc I'd get more pain.

Simon

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
If knee giving that much grief, it may be worth trying to get a brace to take the strain off the joint so you could try cycling - I absolutely love it though only been doing it for 3 ish years

I'm supposed to be swimming three times a week, riding me bike a couple or three times but at the mo just haven't got the time.

I reckon it'll depend how self disciplined you are, but I'd need to join a club with a routine and some competition to get fit.

ATB

Simon.

[Edited on 22/7/12 by Simon]

scudderfish

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
At least with cycling the scenery changes. Length after length in a pool can be very tedious.
clairetoo

posted on 22/7/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
If swimming is supposed to get you fit - how come whales are so fat ?

I'll get my coat.........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

indykid

posted on 22/7/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Get swimming front crawl as soon as possible. Breast stroke is good for passing time, but it's not really exercise.

If you get bored of pool swimming, look up your local triathlon club and go swim open water with them. It's completely different to pool swimming and another level of endurance when you don't have a wall to push off every length.

I did a lot of pool swimming a couple of years back as training for sprint triathlons, but since I've been open water swimming this year, I've hardly been to the pool.

clanger

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
another one for open water swimming. pool is just plain dull when you've been out in all weathers. as said get yourself to the local Triathlon club and give it a go if you've got time?
I've been running for over 15years and was starting to pick up niggles that were lasting longer and longer, even ended up with keyhole on a cartlidge, then started triathlon last year and the variation in training is much easier on the joints/body. Still bloody hard work though

Cycling is good for building strength around the knee and swimming is a good all round cardio workout. When your knee settles, you can start drip feeding some run practice back in.

Warning though, Triathlon is addictive....................... hence my Striker re-build is on hold till the dark winter months as I'm now just 8weeks away from from my first Ironman which I've been training for, since March

Best of luck

swanny

posted on 23/7/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
our pool at work advertise a programme of swimming aimed replicating the gym workout.
structured and quite intensive i think, if you like i'll pick up details for you next time i'm in

paul

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Swimming, Cycling and Rowing Tim.
Best thing about Rowing is that you could take it up (ameteur) competitively if you get good and enjoy it.

Rowing is quite addictive, and usually there's a real good atmosphere with the club (almost as good as rugby - and obv a million times better than a football club).

With re. your knee, I would be surprised if you didn't get used to it quite quickly when rowing. It is 100% none impact and the amount of bending that you do is up to you (when starting off), and I think if it was braced correctly you'd be surprised by how much effort/power you would be able to push/pull...

Swimming, I've never been a fan - but it's meant to be good for you!

Cycling - well if you give me a few months, I "may*" have a tasty something for you to have a ride of!!!

* Not confident in me being successful at all!!!

owelly

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
When I swim, I swim to stay alive which is not quite the same as staying fit.........
I try to treat the problem and not the symptoms: why not get your knee fixed? Gadgey at work was told he was too young to have a knee replacement* so I advised him to seek a second opinion under the 'elective selective' where you can choose to see any NHS Doctor. He went to see one recommended by another of my sporty chums. He's now got a new knee, he's back to pedalling 15 miles each way to work, he goes hill walking most weekends and has run a couple of half marathons.

*Too young? Yup. At 50 he was too young as the Dr siad it would need doing again when he was older!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackbird Rush

posted on 23/7/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Triathlon training.

Doing my first tri in September been training since Easter, lost a stone and feel so much fitter, have been in the pool swimming once a week, now i'm stepping up to 3-4 times a week plus sessions on the bike and running.

Open water swimming is totally different to the pool, only had 1 session but will try and fit in more.

Ash

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.