Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duump SKY for Freesat
Greenie

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Duump SKY for Freesat

My better half and myself have made the conscious decision to dump SKY, just not worth it anymore and now that they have notified us of there impending increases, they are going to have to go..... Never really watch anything on SKY.

But we still want the ability to record etc, so my question to you is which is the best system Freesat system to purchase?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr C

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
The humax systems are as good as any with excellent reviews comes in two sizes 500gb and 1tb, for a more designer look the samsung isn't too bad either.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Slimy38

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why not stick with the Sky Freesat? It's just a change of viewing card, the hardware stays the same. Unless you haven't got a sky+ box?
vanepico

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
you don't need to change card i don't think, just let it expire then you get freeview only
Greenie

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
If I I do that will I not the ability to record, will SKY not turn that facility off?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tims31

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a HUMAX box with a 500gb hard drive recorder, records on two channels and you can watch a third, series link etc really good. Only thing I would want sky for is the F1 but I'm not going to fork out over £600 just for that.

Would recommend the Humax though.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

vanepico

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nah you've paid for a box! You will only get access to half the hard drive though, half is used for anytime, which you can no longer get
jossey

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
to record you need to pay for sky freesat which is £5 a month.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

vanepico

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well in that case get rid of the bloody thing, burn it, or ebay it!
Greenie

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers to all.... Bye bye SKY hello Humax!
jase380

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
I have a HUMAX box with a 500gb hard drive recorder, records on two channels and you can watch a third, series link etc really good. Only thing I would want sky for is the F1 but I'm not going to fork out over £600 just for that.

Would recommend the Humax though.

You can watch F1 here http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/formula-1.html

40inches

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can highly recommend the Samsung boxes, I personally preferred the UI to the Humax, and cheaper too.
With the Sky+ box, when you cancel your subscription Sky will send a signal to stop the recording facility, leave it unplugged for
a couple of months, before they do, and it will record fine. Our old + box is in one of the kids bedroom and works OK.

loggyboy

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Freesat is great, I have it built in to my TV, but sadly doesnt have a DVR built in, so I still subcribe to sky not just for the DVR, but there is a few channels I still watch on Sky.

Mistral Motorsport

Surrey Dave

posted on 31/7/12 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Can highly recommend the Samsung boxes, I personally preferred the UI to the Humax, and cheaper too.
With the Sky+ box, when you cancel your subscription Sky will send a signal to stop the recording facility, leave it unplugged for
a couple of months, before they do, and it will record fine. Our old + box is in one of the kids bedroom and works OK.

If that is correct ,I wonder if there is a back door way of enabling recording on an old Sky+ box?

scudderfish

posted on 31/7/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

That sounds quite petty of them.

Strontium Dog

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

It's Murdoch ffs, your lucky they don't send an auto destruct signal as soon as you stop paying there bloated bills! Lol

I have a cheapo screwfix HD freesat box and dish that cost £50 all in and have had it for ages. It works fine and records to USB devices although the UI is a bit crappy and for everything that isn't freesat I use the interweb. I meant to use it for a while and then get something better but so far I havent seen the need to upgrade.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

40inches

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

It gets worse, you can't play back any recordings you have made previously Talk about throwing your dummy out of the pram!

swanny

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for Humax, not as nice to use as Sky, but like you we simply didnt watch enough telly to justify the sky costs.
a real bonus for us has been the iplayer option on the humax box, with i think more telly on demand either arrived or coming soon.

moving from standard sky to humax means we actually get to see more of what we want as we can record and download.

40inches

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
quote:

If that is correct ,I wonder if there is a back door way of enabling recording on an old Sky+ box?

Yes and no If you take out your card when you cancel your subscription and unplug the box (before your subscription expires) leave it for a few months, SKY keep sending a seek and destroy command via satellite for this time, it should then work, mine did.
More info here, read the whole lot

vanepico

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
our phone line was removed as soon as the guy left because it cocked up our internet
Greenie

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Do I need a dish to use the Humax system or can I utilise my SKY dish or do I need a dish at all?
vanepico

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure LNBs are standard, but if the humax can record two things and play live tv I would think it would need three coax wires?

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

whitestu

posted on 1/8/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do I need a dish to use the Humax system or can I utilise my SKY dish or do I need a dish at all?

Your Sky disk will be fine. Just buy a multi way LNB like this: Linky

Stu

JC

posted on 1/8/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
My TV has freest built in, but also has a USB port that we plug an external standard Hard drive into!!!
franky

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done the same but going to wait for the new range of humax box's to come out. Lots of interesting developments around them.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.