Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine swaps - easy or hard?
jonabonospen

posted on 3/9/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Engine swaps - easy or hard?

Just so it didn't bog down my original thread about thoughts on getting a twin bike engined kit, it was suggested to perhaps buy an already road registered kit and then swap out the engine for something interesting like a ZX10 / 12 and perhaps turbo or supercharge it.

Well how hard is it to swap out an engine from say a Ford Pinto originally (just an example), to a ZX12R engine or similar, perhaps ZZR1200? The mechanical bits of disconnecting one engine and plumbing in a new one I could probably get my head around given plenty of time, but things are cant do are things like fabrication and welding. Assuming some fabrication and welding is required, how much is it likely to cost?

In fact how much as a rough ballpark figure would it cost do you think to swap out a car engine and put in a big bike engine?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 3/9/12 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
i did mine myself, swapped a crossflow for a zx9. Im no pro welder but i learned by making a previous chassis, there isnt a huge amount of fabriation really.

zx9 engine was £300
professional prop was IRO £200 i think
professional exhaust was about £400.

Odds and sods like a starter, wiring, rectifier etc was under a 100 quid, the engine came with a few of those bits though i forget which.

So in the region of a grand for a budget bec conversion. It went like stink!

maccmike

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again.

I bought a complete zzr1100 30k for £600.

Stripped what I need - engine, harness, coils, cdi, pump etc.

Sold old engine, and the left over bike and made £300 profit.

If I could do it you could

adithorp

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
There's a CEC to BEC convertion sticky thread HERE on the engine section that covers most stuff.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

twybrow

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
You also need to consider changes to your fuel system, as the current setup might be for carbs (single fuel line) where as most bike engines (modern ones anyway!) use fuel injection, and therefore require a feed and a return fuel line. Therefore you need to consider the impact on: fuel tank, fuel lines, pump(s), pressure regulator etc.

Then also factor in the wiring - a fuel injected setup has a lot of wires to sort through and understand - it really is not rocket science, but it can be daunting when you first look at it. I would also consider having to alter/change the side panels on the car, as the Pinto (a common lump to take out) has an exhaust on the opposite side to every bike engine setup I have seen - so you might need to consider filling the old hole, and making anew one on the other side for the exhaust!

All in all, it is not difficult, but I would suggest that a cheapish welder and some scrap would be a good place to start - learning the basics does not take long, and before long, you will be happy enough to put together your own engine cradle, mounting brackets etc (but I would advise leaving the exhaust to the professionals!).

jase380

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's a list of what parts i needed and cost's to go from a pinto in an Indy to a zx10r here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=154398

[Edited on 3/9/12 by jase380]

snapper

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse box is not cheap but pushing the car backwards becomes a right pain.
Most bike engines don't have convenient mounting positions so most people fabricate a cradle utilising the bike engine to frame mounts with adaptations to bolt the cradle to the car chassis.
In response to your thread title
How long is a piece of string? Long, short???

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

D Beddows

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just buy the car you want tbh! Sounds like you want to drive more than build and faffing around with cars rarely ends up being a cheap exercise so it'll probably save you some money as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.