Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 ignition leads
sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
R1 ignition leads

On my last blast out before winter hibernation my carbed R1 engine developed a misfire when under load. I think the culprit is a slightly loose HT lead. I had to make up my own longer leads and to do so I pushed in the new lead into the coil with a bit of rapid araldite to stop it moving.

I suspect that the araldite is a little brittle for this. I had thought of using a little sikaflex to secure as its seems as though its good for everything else?

Or does anyone have any other solutions?

Cheers
Steve

kwakkwak6

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is the misfire on 1cyclinder or 2? If its on both could be a cool pack breaking down .also what colour is the plug/plugs that are causing the issue ?
sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just on one, as far as I can tell anyway. Spark plugs are all fine, very clean as they are only 200 miles old, very slight tan colour. I didn't really expect to see any evidence on the spark plugs as the misfire is only when under heavy acceleration (max vibration) which to me points to something working loose, at idle/normal pottering its fine.

renetom

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
missfire

Hi

Is the problem solved when you secure the lead ?
We had a similar problem on our carbed R1 & it turned out to be
poo poo in one of the carbs.
Good luck
René

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs have only just been professionally overhauled and ultrasonic cleaned so I dont think its them.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to road test as I'm sorned. I did notice a little of the araldite was cracking so I was going to make new leads up as a matter of course but just wondered what to use to keep the lead in at the coil end?

kwakkwak6

posted on 2/1/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't your coil cap have a rubber gromit inside it like the sleave on a compression gland to gold the lead in place ? You would see evidence om the plug if its failing to fire on a cylinder the plug would be wetter or darker coloured due to excess fuel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.