Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Zinc plating
jimmyd

posted on 27/1/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Zinc plating

Hi All,

What's the collective thought on DIY Zinc plating? Can you get good results or does it tend not to last. Various people offer similar kits any recommendations.

Any experiences people can share?

Thanks in advance.

J

MikeRJ

posted on 27/1/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
No personal experience by my uncle has been restoring an E Type, and more recently a 996 Ducati and has re-plated hundreds of fasteners and small brackets, and followed up with the passivisation treatment it really looks like it's just rolled out of the factory. He reckons it's a very simple process.
rdodger

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at the kits a while ago. I also got a quote from a local place to get some brackets etc re plated. The cost for both was around £50. The plating place had a minimum cost so basically you get a basket of stuff for £50.
vonmoogen

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one before christmas. Took a little while to get good results but that was due to the power supply. Had some really good results now that I've had a bit of practice. I yellow passivate after plating and it looks great. Just about everything is getting plated now!

I got my kit from gateros plating- not the cheapest, but do get quite a lot in the kits. They are pretty good for support and they didn't charge me extra for shipping to Scottish highlands- said they don't have many customers up this way so they just swallow the extra cost. Thats a bonus to me- I usually get screwed for shipping.

Rob

clanger

posted on 27/1/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
just bought a box full of chemically looking stuff from these guys Plating Stuff

lots of the kits around just include stuff you'd probably have lying around, gloves, glasses, buckets etc......

the youplate guys were very helpful, sold me just what I needed and answered any questions. just got to find 5mins to have a play now.......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.