Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is this legit?
metro6r4

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
is this legit?

hi there im looking for a engine to rebuild ready for next season and i came across this advert it sounds doggey to me as i cant think of any reason why a race engine wouldn't have any numbers.

heres the advert

Yamaha yzf r1 4xv 1998-2000 engine ,no engine numbers due to being used as spare for track days and have now upgraded so surplus and must go as takeing up space ,exhaust header pipes intact and exup valve and cables,this engine runs well and is in good serviceable condition .

do you guys think its legit?

blakep82

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
ford replacement 'crate' engines don't have numbers. i suspect bike ones won't either. only if they've been put into a bike in the factory. but if sold/bought seperately to build into a purpose race engine, then i can't think of why it would have a number?

every manufacturer might be different i guess, but is generally unusual, but i wouldn't say its definitely dodgy

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gaz_gaz

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 4xv and a 5jj that are ideal candidates for winter rebuilds. All numbers etc intact.
metro6r4

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
gaz_gaz were abouts are you and how much would you want for the 4xv? i think i am going to steer well clear of the one without engine numbers
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you buy new engine casings from Yamaha, Honda any main dealer they come with no numbers!

Work to Live don't Live to Work

Matt @ TDF

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Most OEMs will not supply stamped castings if the parts are via their motorsport or similar division. Essentially in purchasing a "block" you are buying a component not a complete engine which would be ID'd as such.
metro6r4

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
you would have some sort of paperwork surely so you could prove it isnt knicked.Hopefully i will be picking one up from gaz_gaz
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You'd only have a sales receipt, if i had to change my casings I'd stamp it with original engine no. from my log book and keep damaged casing!

Work to Live don't Live to Work

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.