Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo to intercooler hose
Hellfire

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo to intercooler hose

I have a split hose between the turbo and intercooler on my Ford S Max 2.2TDCi and as a result am losing power. It would appear that the hoses/pipes are only available from Ford, who want £120 for the part alone There are no aftermarket turbo hoses available and I've been trying to source one from various breakers without any luck and I've also tried e-bay

The shape of the hose would not be easy to replicate with standard elbows etc available from Samco, so my only other option is to repair the hose I have but how and with what?

Answers on a postcard please.

Phil

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Gaffa tape?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about something like this!

Silicone Rescue Repair Tape Self Fusing Bonding Electrical Wires Hose Cover 25mm | eBay

Aaron

Work to Live don't Live to Work

MikeRJ

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a rubber hose then a short length of aluminium pipe, suitably swaged on the ends and held on with a couple of hose clamps will do the job?

Nothing like the Mondeo hose I suppose, they seem readily available in silicone?

[Edited on 29/5/13 by MikeRJ]

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I,d get creative with tube and a welder, no reason it has to be Ali if you can only weld steel, my intercooler pipework is an old bed frame and cheap landrover hoses we are locost after all.
ashg

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
make a metal one, then just have silicon ends. i do recall there used to be a company that would copy any pipe in silicone but i cant remember the name of them to save my life but i do remember they were in Birmingham near a car audio shop called bass junkies.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RickRick

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
seal the split with rtv/silicone/sikaflex then bind the damaged area with fiberglass tape to stop it splitting when it swells again, done water and turbo pipes like this and it's lasted a good 6 months
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Come on this is LCB. Make a new silicon hose yourself.

Here are some instructions I found on another forum:

"
First you need a template, call it a form, mandrel, model, whatever you want. This has to be alloy bar whatever size you need(internal bore) I used solid because it bends better and does not kink(unless you have a fancy bender which I had not.

You make this bar 2 inches longer either end than you need it, bend it up to suit your run and once your happy with the fit you can start.

Cover it in chalk dust.
Wrap un-cured silicone tape around it overlapping as you go, you could use sheet silicone if you wanted if the form has no compound curves, but you will need to slice it up into say 1 1/4 wide tape lengths if your form is complex, so you can wrap it tight. The silicone comes maybe 1/16 thick between clingflim type stuff, you obviously remove film as you wrap. One wrap of this forms your smooth bore. It needs to be wrapped REALLY tight with no pockets or this will expand and form blisters at the bake stage. Its also hard-ish to work as it tears easy, imagine chewing gum sticks, thats what its like.
Next, you wrap it in polyester reinforced silicone, the same as above but a weave through it, similar to the stuff you see in garden hoses. 2 layers of this pending hose rating(psi). This stuff can also differ from the bore silicone as the bore silicone may be chemical resistant, ie, petrol, oil, but not as strong as the weave layer. once thats on(tightly) you can then finish the hose off on the outside, again with just plain silicone as with the bore.
Once thats on and smooth enough, you wrap the hose with either heat proof smooth tape(5/8th wide) or heat proof herring bone tape if you want it textured. You tape these in place either end one wrapped.
Next, it needs to be baked, from memory I used 180 degrees c for 25min. Its stinks when your baking so buy an old oven and go outside. If you over bake it will dull silicone, if you under bake it wont cure right and you'll have squishy spots in places.

Once cooled you then need to trim ends to your length, If you grooved form with a hacksaw blade before you started your stanley blade will follow in this groove and will be guided. Once thats done you need to pull pipe off form, if chalk didnt work lift hose at end and pump in washing up liquid and massage around hose and form, the hose can then be gripped and pulled off form.
If the form is complex, dont trim hose, but use the ends to grip it with a puller or portapower or whatever and pull off that way. Trimming clean after is harder though but you can insert something into the hose end to run your blade on.
"

For a one-off when you already have the hose you could make the form from plaster of paris (perhaps?), it won't last (obviously). You will need to find a time when the wife is out to use the oven though (unless it is her car, and you don't mind the taste of silicon pizza).

Matt

Rod Ends

posted on 30/5/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
On one of the 'Car is born' episodes (think was when he was converting his Westfield into a race car) it showed how silicone hoses were made. Not very high tech.
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 30/5/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
On one of the 'Car is born' episodes (think was when he was converting his Westfield into a race car) it showed how silicone hoses were made. Not very high tech.

a race car is born, you're absolutely right it looked simple, that's why I posted the link earlier in the thread for the silicone tape.

Work to Live don't Live to Work

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.