Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: another eBay user 'rant'
r1_pete

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
another eBay user 'rant'

Sold some bits on ebay a few weeks ago, everything posted and presumed OK...

Yesterday out of the blue I get a not received case raised.

Provided tracking info, and raised a claim with the shipper.

This morning I get a message the buyer has closed the case, no reason given, no other communication whatsoever.

Why do people hide behind complaint processes, whats wrong with a private message, 'I haven't received my item'....

All I can assume is he's found the parcel hidden somewhere safe, at 99p I didn't think it worth the extra for signed for - lesson learned ...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I just had my 650 'positives' sullied with a 'negative' the other day.

Sold an oil cooler on the Wednesday evening. Posted it to it's Norther Ireland destination on the Thursday morning. The Friday and Monday were public holidays. No communication from buyer... then a 'neutral' feedback bomb lands out of nowhere on my profile stating only 'where is my oil cooler'. This was at 11am on the Monday! I explained about the public holidays, that the listing expressly said to expect up to 3 working days for dispatch and that the postage service offered was a further 2-3 working days.

It arrived with him on the Wednesday (pretty decent service I thought!)... he didn't remove the 'neutral'.

All this from a guy with less than 20 feedbacks and already a couple of 'negatives'!

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair, eBay has recently changed the "Ask seller a question" so it's ridiculously easy to inadvertently open a case rather than simply ask a question. This happened to me recently and I was apologetic to the seller about it, but I didn't close the case since if I had I wouldn't have been able to open another one if I had needed to.
Slimy38

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Sold some bits on ebay a few weeks ago, everything posted and presumed OK...

Yesterday out of the blue I get a not received case raised.

Provided tracking info, and raised a claim with the shipper.

This morning I get a message the buyer has closed the case, no reason given, no other communication whatsoever.

Why do people hide behind complaint processes, whats wrong with a private message, 'I haven't received my item'....

All I can assume is he's found the parcel hidden somewhere safe, at 99p I didn't think it worth the extra for signed for - lesson learned ...

Aha, you've fallen foul of bad Ebay rather than bad buyer. If the buyer goes through the process and says 'item not received', Ebay used to just allow you to contact the seller. Now it automatically raises a case whether the buyer wants to or not.

I had exactly the same from the opposite side, I was buying something from China and it was a week after the delivery date. I wasn't overly bothered, but wanted to ask whether the item had been dispatched (I'd not had any communication). Suddenly the seller was really apologetic because I'd raised a case against them, and it was entirely unintentional. I immediately closed the case as all I had intended to do was send a polite question.

I entirely agree with your view that a brief message is all it needs, but Ebay want it all handled as a case.

Edit: Looks like MikeRJ did exactly the same!

[Edited on 30/5/13 by Slimy38]

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I find there's a lot more idiots on eBay these days, sold a guy the boot trim for a Capri, it was mint & rare-ish, he paid for it I posted it, had no contact from him he just left neutral saying it was damaged,but there was no point in returning it!

If I'd paid £35 I'd return it! Offered him full refund postage both ways included.

Work to Live don't Live to Work

r1_pete

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh, maybe it is all too easy to open a case now, didn't realise that, but a simple message to say 'found it' or parcel turned up would be the polite thing to do.

Now I've got to retract the case with the shipper and look a buit of a pillock myself, with no reason to offer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 30/5/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
You do get idiots on ebay, when I broke and MX5 last year for a donor I sold most bits off it on ebay. One of them was the motor and winder for the drivers electric window which the cables had snapped on, so I listed them both separately stating on both that the cables had snapped an needed replacing, you could even see the cables were snapped in the pictures. Anyway the same person bought both items and then sent me a message demanding a refund as the cables had snapped to which I replied that the auction description for both items stated this so they ended up leaving negative feedback for both but didnt open a dispute with either ebay or paypal as they knew they were in the wrong. In 10 years of using ebay this is only the second negative feedback I had recieved (1300+ rating), cant remeber what the first one was at it was a couple of years ago but ebay removed it as it was unjust, but contacted ebay this time and they havent removed it with no explanation.

It just goes to show, you can go to any lengths you want to try and cover yourself but your still gonna get people trying it on and messing you around.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

40inches

posted on 30/5/13 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Ahh, maybe it is all too easy to open a case now, didn't realise that, but a simple message to say 'found it' or parcel turned up would be the polite thing to do.

I have done the same, part hadn't arrived after 10 days, I inadvertently opened a case, the seller send an apology for the delay, said it had gone the same day, but would send another. I sent a message apologising for opening the case.
Now, the interesting part, the replacement arrived the next day, but I wasn't in so got a card. Went to sorting office and they gave me two parcels, one S/L for 12 days before They didn't leave a card the first time, so I had to sent one back with a grovelling note.

robinj66

posted on 30/5/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experience - selling the inlet system for RV8. Guy in Holland asked me to sell it to him despite stating UK only. I relented, package it up and sent it asap.

Few days later without any further contact he accuses me of not selling because I wanted a higher price. I provide him & Ebay with all details including the tracking number and proof of postage. Ebay pressured me to refund which I eventually did (against my better judgment) and I end up with the only negative feedback I've ever had. Ebay refused to remove it.

Eventually the package is returned to me having gone all the way to Holland but not able to deliver to the stated address.

Felt really pi$$ed off but, as the seller, nothing I could do.

Not Anumber

posted on 30/5/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Lets start making a list of bad Ebay buyers and sellers on here.

We can watch out for them and teach them a lesson. A good bit of sport for when its raining and theres nothing on the telly.

plentywahalla

posted on 30/5/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
You do get idiots on ebay, when I broke and MX5 last year for a donor I sold most bits off it on ebay. One of them was the motor and winder for the drivers electric window which the cables had snapped on, so I listed them both separately stating on both that the cables had snapped an needed replacing, you could even see the cables were snapped in the pictures. Anyway the same person bought both items and then sent me a message demanding a refund as the cables had snapped to which I replied that the auction description for both items stated this so they ended up leaving negative feedback for both but didnt open a dispute with either ebay or paypal as they knew they were in the wrong. In 10 years of using ebay this is only the second negative feedback I had recieved (1300+ rating), cant remeber what the first one was at it was a couple of years ago but ebay removed it as it was unjust, but contacted ebay this time and they havent removed it with no explanation.

It just goes to show, you can go to any lengths you want to try and cover yourself but your still gonna get people trying it on and messing you around.

They won't remove it... I sold a cylinder head and stated clearly I was selling it because it needed a welding repair. The buyer demanded a refund claiming I had sold it as 'good'. I gave him a full refund including the postage and then he left negative feedback! Ebay would not remove the neg even though the sale had been effectively cancelled. They said the buyer was entitled to his opinion of the transaction even though he quite clearly had not read the description properly.

And he never returned the head!!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

chrism

posted on 30/5/13 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I wont usually give a refund until the item is returned, Paypal wont refund their money without proof they have sent it back so your always safe on that end.

Buyers not reading the description properly seems to be a common problem, Ive remembered what my other negative was, I sold a DVD box set that was from america I clearly stated it was region 1 and would need a region free dvd player to watch, the buyer sent me an email saying that they didnt work and said that it kept coming up with a message saying wrong region and demanded a replacement or refdun, to which I pointed out the description on the auction stating that it was region 1.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Not Anumber

posted on 31/5/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Name and shame the bad Ebayers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.