Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine for \Tiger
Matt159888

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Engine for \Tiger

Hi guys i am after opinions on engine choice for the Tiger E1. I have bought an old tiger and it has a cammed and head worked 1.8 pinto. It goes really well really but i like the more power route. I have been in a locost fireblade powered car and was awsome and have a mate with a nice mk with a c20xe on throttle bodies. My question is firstly does the E1 tiger take to a bike engine some say they are too heavy for them is there anyone with a bike engined E1?. I was thinking blackbird if i go with a bike engine and if not would be a 2.0 zetec on 45's i think. Am i on the right track with this and would the 2.0 zetec be a good motor or should i tune a 2.0 pinto and fit for power. trying to collect the bits to build up a winter project just still want opinions on motor choices etc? thanks guys Matt
loggyboy

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec is a fairly easy and cheap swap, will mount to the existing gearbox with a few small component changes.
non ford engines will require slightly more expensive changes to suit the gearbox, or will need a change in gearbox/transmission.
The bonus with kits is you can pretty much do what you like, so a bike engine is completely doable should you fancy that style of car.

What do you want to use it for?

Mistral Motorsport

snippy

posted on 16/8/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Being a Tiger E1 owner myself I originally built mine with a 2.0 Pinto on 45's. After 12 mths I swapped to 2.0 Zetec on same 45's. The zetec was much smoother and there was a power increase of about 20bhp. A well tuned Pinto can be just as good as a Zetec though. To change from Pinto to Zetec will cost you about £1000 with new manifold, headers, pipework, Megajolt etc etc and then you will have to cut a hole in your other side panel for exhaust exit. This model of Tiger is too heavy for a bike engine in my opinion, leave bike engines for purpose designed BEC's. It all comes down to budget but research it first before you decide. It has been discussed many times before.
Matt159888

posted on 16/8/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
It is a subject well talked about but i dont seem any wiser lol!. Some say she is too heavy for bikes the zetec seems a good idea. The pinto engine is a lovely engine but a nice tuned pinto gets really expensive to get the power that a zetec on carbs will make nearly standard. And the zetec is plentyful on flea bay etc. I use the car mainly for a fast blast and odd track days so far dont think long distance a realistic idea in her. Is there anyone on here running a bike powered e1?. think the zetec winning the race for me just wanted feedback from you guys that have been there with it!. thanks matt
ChrisL

posted on 16/8/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
2.0 BT Zetec on carbs (bike or car) or injection or (only cause I like the idea and don't know if it would work...) S2000...
mcerd1

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
what's your budget ?

is it for the track or the road ?

-

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its not really about a BEC being unsuitable, at the end of the day the car would run with 60hp A series engine, its more about getting the most from the engine. Bikes are light, the engines suit them, they have big HP, low torque and rev fast.

If you stick a 140hp bike engine with 70ftlb of torque, in a 650kg car, your gonna notice that lack of torque, stick it a a 450kg car not so much. Stick a 150hp car engine with 150ft lb or torque in the same cars you will benefit more from that in the heavier car.
The lighter car would still likely be faster with such similar figures, but of course there is a balance somewhere where a heavier car with more HP will become faster than a lighter car with less!

Mistral Motorsport

big-vee-twin

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you go for a Duratec you will not need to cut another hole on the opposite side for the exhaust, you will get 150hp out the box from a fairly light engine, add throttle bodies and you get to 180-190 HP with not much effort.

You will need deeper pockets though can be done for about £1500-£2000

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

wylliezx9r

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL
2.0 BT Zetec on carbs (bike or car) or injection or (only cause I like the idea and don't know if it would work...) S2000...

S2000 would be too tall to fit under the bonnet without some serious surgery, I don't think the tranny tunnel would be wide enough to get the engine far enough back either.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

navyseamonkey2011

posted on 16/8/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I measured mine up for a s2000, the tiger E1 has a low bonnet line.
Zetec or duratec is the best option.

ChrisL

posted on 16/8/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:

S2000 would be too tall to fit under the bonnet without some serious surgery, I don't think the tranny tunnel would be wide enough to get the engine far enough back either.

Shame!

re cutting holes I thought a pinto and a duratec were the same way round and a Zetec opposing?

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
re cutting holes I thought a pinto and a duratec were the same way round and a Zetec opposing?

Exactly. But the other costs involved wth a duratec conversion would vastly out weigh the price of a bonnet or a new panel!
Just comes down to if you want the Duratec enough to spend more.

Mistral Motorsport

ianm67

posted on 16/8/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt159888
Hi guys i am after opinions on engine choice for the Tiger E1. I have bought an old tiger and it has a cammed and head worked 1.8 pinto. It goes really well really but i like the more power route. I have been in a locost fireblade powered car and was awsome and have a mate with a nice mk with a c20xe on throttle bodies. My question is firstly does the E1 tiger take to a bike engine some say they are too heavy for them is there anyone with a bike engined E1?. I was thinking blackbird if i go with a bike engine and if not would be a 2.0 zetec on 45's i think. Am i on the right track with this and would the 2.0 zetec be a good motor or should i tune a 2.0 pinto and fit for power. trying to collect the bits to build up a winter project just still want opinions on motor choices etc? thanks guys Matt

Pictures please...!

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

Matt159888

posted on 17/8/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sound advice will have a think sounds a duratec nice option but think zetec more my budget I want to be 1500 ish and what power is zetec on 45's etc on a mega jolt or weber alpha ?
loggyboy

posted on 17/8/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you dont want a brand new zetec and you can keep to a budget fueling system, you should do it way under 1.5k.
If you go alpha you'll need to double it as thats 2k alone.
Im hoping for 160 from my new zetec on an alpha kit. May boost that with nos tho.

Mistral Motorsport

Matt159888

posted on 17/8/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be happy with 160 ish the motor in mine is an 1.8 pinto but had work she is cam'd and ported and runs twin 40's print out shows 135 Bhp and sound lovely the old pintos are a lovely sound but just need that bit more to make her the crazy car I want. Other option was a cam'd 2.0 pinto with twin 45's but zetec is easier to find and looks sweet just dam exhaust wrong side!
ianm67

posted on 18/8/13 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
NTDWM but a nice JEMs freshly built 180bhp Pinto on eBay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinto-Jem-Engine-2-0L-RS2000-Road-Rally-/121160729984?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c35be0580

Cheers,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
NO no no. You want a nice st170 You can call it a duratec down the pub because it says so on the spark plug cover and its as easy to install as a zetec, because it is.

Best of all, ready to drop in and around half the price of the ebay pinto.

got to get my vid hits up some how

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.