Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Any help for an amatuer? lol
Daley D

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Any help for an amatuer? lol

Hi all, I decided I needed a new project so I bought a part finished kit car that I could work on as my first build. At first I thought it was a Haynes Roadster but the chassis looks like its anything but that! So was wondering if any of you would be able to tell me what it is ( If its anything lol) or if it would be a wise move to start from scratch ie source a chassis or build one.

Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers Dale

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a Locust (not Locost) with the cortina front wishbones. . If i recall the sides were timber with an ally skin on them .
Not by any means the most desirable of kits.
Oh and welcome to the forum too.
You'll find all you need to know on here.

[Edited on 24/4/14 by CRAIGR]

[Edited on 24/4/14 by CRAIGR]

Daley D

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the info bud and yes wood with alloy over the top it is . Do you think it would be a wise move to start from scratch then as I planned to go bike engined
theduck

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
those photos are huge! From what I can see of them I would agree its cortina uprights and probably a locust chassis which was a back bone chassis design http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_(car)
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Its very dated what you have there and personally i wouldn't wish to throw money at it.
In my opinion you'd be better off keeping an eye out on here or stick a wanted add up for a part built locost or similar .
Theres a massive amount of knowledge here and people are always happy to help and give advice should you need it when buying or looking .
Hope that helps .

Daley D

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the pics not too sure on how to make them smaller and yes would agree think I shall take your advice and look for another project and will probs just use this for the parts. Thanks again for all the help
scudderfish

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Put your location in your profile, local people may be able to help.
theduck

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Has it ever been registered? If not I would strip it for parts and get a different chassis, if it has been registered though, it could be worth tidying up and using.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/4/14 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
those photos are huge!

Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, but if you use 'Ctrl' & '-' several times you can reduce the zoom level on your browser. It makes the pictures more viewable. Just hit 'Ctrl' & '+' the same number of times to get back to the original viewing size. Good for those tiny wrinting sites too where you need to zoom in

I agree, looks Locust to me too. Welcome to the forum chap

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

mcerd1

posted on 25/4/14 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
one bonus is that the cortina donor parts are lighter than the more modern sierra / BMW ones
dax and a few other kit makers used to use cortina's as donor's until they got to hard to find..

so that would make an ideal donor car for a book built locost (i.e. the old book)

-

IanSouthLincs

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, as above it's definitely a locust. However bear with me here, I'm betting it's already road registered and therefore been through the SVA. I have the widebody version of yours called the Hornet that I'm restoring now. I've completely stripped it down to the ladder chassis and am building a steel spaceframe for it. Only parts of the bodywork I'm keeping are the rear wheel arches, scuttle, bonnet and nosecone. The rest I'll be making from scratch. I've heard that a lot of Caterham parts fit the Locust as it's supposed to be one of the closest in dimension to the original Lotus 7. Not sure if that's true or not, just what I've heard. For my tuppence worth I think it's worth saving. Whether you ditch the wood like I'm doing or not, go on, go for it!!
snakebelly

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
First kit I ever built was a JC Locust, pretty agricultural by todays standards and I wouldn't want to try and get one through IVA myself! It is possible to build them to a nice Sunday driver standard but don't expect too much in the handling or performance departments.

I wouldn't bother trying to put a bike engine in it as they are pretty heavy.

[Edited on 29/4/14 by snakebelly]

jacko

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Where do you live [ town ] as some one may be able to look and help you
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daley D

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for all the help and as for the pics if you right click then click view image it makes them slightly smaller. Still cant find a way to upload them smaller. As for the car I dont believe that it has ever been registered and I think it will be sold on and I will start from scratch on a Haynes Roadster
Daley D

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am from Blackpool Jacko will try to add it to my profile now
IanSouthLincs

posted on 29/4/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
As snakebelly says, a bike engine would probably be a bad idea due to the weight, though wishbone replacements are available for these off the shelf allowing the use of coilovers all round. Whilst it will always be a bit heavier it's nothing 150+bhp won't pull along quite nicely. Just depends on how much work you want to do.
If it hasn't ever been registered then that does change things, but it would be worth checking out for sure. Not only for your use, but it will affect your resale price if you decide to sell it on.
Hope this helps
Ian

mcerd1

posted on 30/4/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanSouthLincs
I'm betting it's already road registered and therefore been through the SVA.

^^ I think most Locusts were built and registered pre-98

that means Pre-SVA - so they only needed a bog standard MOT to get on the road and that doesn't test half the things covered in an SVA/IVA

[Edited on 30/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.