Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swapping Left & Right Front Uprights
AGK7

posted on 6/5/05 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Swapping Left & Right Front Uprights

Looking for a suitable donor for my front uprights and i was wondering if anyone knows of any ill affects of swapping front uprights from left to right and visa versa?
I have found a suitable donor but the steering arm is rear not forward of the upright.
Any ideas on the affect on geometry would be appreciated.
Thanks
AndrewK
Australia

nick205

posted on 6/5/05 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
what are you looking at as a donor?

DaveFJ

posted on 6/5/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
depending on the design of the uprights the castor angle would be all wrong.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Bob C

posted on 6/5/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
never mind caster - what about ackerman????
I'd respectfully suggest you probably want a bit of this - in the right direction!
cheers
Bob

clbarclay

posted on 6/5/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the rack from the same car then with the arms forward the steering would be reversed. If steering wheel were turend left then road wheels would turn right.

AGK7

posted on 3/6/05 at 04:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for not getting back sooner, posted this and sort of forgot i had
nick205, I am looking at using a Nissan Skyline GT rear diff set up with a DeDion axle. My engineer wants me to use a single donor for my brakes (perhaps this doesn’t make sense but that’s what he wants so that’s what he gets). I have an opportunity to get a full susp rear end and front uprights and brakes at a pretty good price at the moment but am trying to work how to utilise the front brakes. I think it is going to be a matter of adapting the brakes to a more suitable upright.
Thanks again for the comments.
Andrew

theconrodkid

posted on 3/6/05 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
did this by mistake on my first car,it was undrivable as angles were all over the place

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

kango

posted on 3/6/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Tried it on my Cortina uprights aswell, in order to get more space for my radiator, but Mr Ackerman destroyed this idea. Do some searchs on "ackerman angle"

Defiately not a good idea.

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kango
Tried it on my Cortina uprights aswell, in order to get more space for my radiator, but Mr Ackerman destroyed this idea. Do some searchs on "ackerman angle"

Defiately not a good idea.

True Ackerman geometery dosen't exist in a rack and pinnion steering system.
Any ackerman effect on a Cortina front end comes from the fore/aft postion of the steering rack in relation to the outer track rod end centres, all you have to do is position the rack correctly and you can has as much or as little ackerman as you desire.

The catch with turning the uprights upside down is not ackerman but the combination caster angle and kingpin inclination which are fix by the upright design,
On a Cortina upright these cast in in angles are pretty small so the upright has been turned upside and used on the opposite side by some designers (for example F27 used this set up).

MikeRJ

posted on 5/6/05 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

True Ackerman geometery dosen't exist in a rack and pinnion steering system.
Any ackerman effect on a Cortina front end comes from the fore/aft postion of the steering rack in relation to the outer track rod end centres, all you have to do is position the rack correctly and you can has as much or as little ackerman as you desire.

The catch with turning the uprights upside down is not ackerman but the combination caster angle and kingpin inclination which are fix by the upright design,
On a Cortina upright these cast in in angles are pretty small so the upright has been turned upside and used on the opposite side by some designers (for example F27 used this set up).

Why would you want to turn the hubs upside down? Just to move from front steer to rear steer is vice versa only involves swapping left and right.

Isn't the Ackerman angle also dictated by the angle that the steering arm intersects the king pin axis? Or is that close to zero on the Cortina hub?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.