Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Infill Panel Thickness
smdl

posted on 6/11/06 at 04:08 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Infill Panel Thickness

I have read a few threads debating the merits of using aluminum or steel for the infill panels between the K's and the M's where the rear trailing arms mount. To be safe, I have decided to use steel, but am wondering what thickness I should use. I have some 14 gauge steel that I could use for this. Would this be appropriate?

Thanks,
Shaun

DIY Si

posted on 6/11/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
It's partly up to you. When I was making a chassis I used a massive panel of 3mm plate! This is quite probably overkill though, but all I had at the time, so I bunged it in. 14 gauge should be fine, and the other option or a bit of extra strength here is to make the two trailing arm brackets out of a single bit of 2 or 3mm box, cut the welded/seamed side off and have a the bracket extend up to the top rail, and down to the bottom rail.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/11/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hey up. I used 3mm steel too after speaking with other members. Just don't wanna risk it bending and coming apart.

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/11/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
3mm steel in mines as well.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/06 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 16 gauge on mine, and I thought that was probably overkill. Then again I made some very hefty trailing arm mounting brackets as well.
caber

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I used 16 Guage and made trailing arm mounts from one bit of 50 X50 X3 RHS slotted for the armsand welded to the frame and sheet.

Caber

David Jenkins

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
16 gauge for me too - plenty strong enough. The trailing arm brackets do most (if not all) of the work).

Using 50mm channel is a really good idea - I found out too late to do it on my chassis.

David

[Edited on 6/11/06 by David Jenkins]

smdl

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the great replies. I am using rose joints for my suspension, so I have gone with brackets that are much narrower (1.25" OD) than the book standard units. This goes a long way towards minimising the overhang issues that come with welding 2" brackets on 1" RHS, and also shortens the span of the fixing bolt.

Cheers,
Shaun

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.