Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox Mount
smdl

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox Mount

Hi,

I have now finished the basic construction of my chassis, and am proceeding to stick stuff onto it. For those of you who have built your own chassis, I would appreciate any thoughts about proper methods of attaching a gearbox mount.

I am using a Westfield mount for my Type 9, and am planning to make an adpater channel out of of 2" tubing sliced in half lengthwise, but I am concerned about how to attach it to the chassis.

I don't want to just drill through the RHS and put a bolt through with a nut on the other end, as this would weaken the RHS, and also potentially compress it when tightened.

I could just find some tubing with an ID matching the bolts I am using, drill a hole in the RHS matching the OD of the tubing, and weld it in to allow a bolt to pass through, but how do I weld this in so it doesn't protrude from the RHS and impede the mount from fitting flush?

In a very similar manner, I could use a thick-walled tubing, and just tap that to the appropriate size for the mounting bolts, but the same problem exists. Do I just grind the tubing flush to the RHS and not be too overly concerned about strength?

I believe I have also seen an example (can't locate it now) of angle iron being welded to the chassis and the mount then being bolted to this. Is this a practical methoed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Shaun

mark chandler

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Tubing gets my vote, but then thats how I have added the occasional bolt hole.

You just drill the hole then using a ball pein hammer tap the hole edges to make them concave on both sides.

Insert the tube, leave it longer than required, and put a fillet weld around to fill the recess, then cut off flush and clean with a grinder.

Regards Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/1/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I just welded fillets to the chassis and made a cradle, almost 2 years on the road an no problems Rescued attachment WestyMount.jpg
Rescued attachment WestyMount.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

robertst

posted on 14/1/07 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I just welded fillets to the chassis and made a cradle, almost 2 years on the road an no problems

ooh aye! yet another one of mark allanson's tricks from his hat! that is good!

i was just thinking on using the good ol' 3mm plate, weld it across, and then use the land rover gearbox mount i bought a while ago. problem is the threds dont match, but i guess theres a way around that.

Tom

James

posted on 14/1/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of plates of 3mm used for mine... 2000miles seems ok.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

smdl

posted on 14/1/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, gents. All great information!

Shaun

kp

posted on 20/1/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
what's wrong with the book method

the book suggests welding 25mm rhs to the lower trans tunnel tubes and drilling bolt holes.

Is there a problem with this solution?

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/1/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
..drilling bolt holes into what?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 24/1/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kp
the book suggests welding 25mm rhs to the lower trans tunnel tubes and drilling bolt holes.

Is there a problem with this solution?

You'll crush the tube if you do it up tight.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.