Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: i have a 1.6 tuned pinto lump in my kit car But is it what i want should i just but a Zetec in before its Tooo late?
Arthur T

posted on 13/1/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
i have a 1.6 tuned pinto lump in my kit car But is it what i want should i just but a Zetec in before its Tooo late?

i have bought a kit car with a 1.6 Pinto engine every think that could be polished is and its all been repainted and looks the part....its not even been run!

BUT even though it has a high lift cam and ported & polished head Bigger valves and the rest i can not stop thinking that i should just put in a Zetec in now before i finish the car. because a Zetec is better power to weight...

how much work is there in changing them over? how much would it cost me to buy a Zetec and get it running (ball park fig)

HELP what should i do???

Steve Morten

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stick with the Pinto as all the work has been done, the pinto is a nice torquey engine compared to the zetec. The only downside is the weight. Anyway as they use the same bellhousing you can always swap later, just need to make up new engine mounts.
CairB

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered a Duratec?

Even better power to weight and the exhaust is the same side as a pinto.

The cost can be kept down by fabricating some of the dearer parts but your probably stuck with the dearer bellhousing.

In standard tune with bike throttle bodies and a megasquirt should you see over 180bhp with a substantial weight saving.

It seems like more are becoming available at reasonable price now.

TangoMan

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what you want.

I bought mine last year with a tuned 2.0 Pinto. It has been a great for a year but was just not quick enough. I doubt you will be happy with a 1.6 Pinto if you are hoping for great performance.

I am in the process of swapping for a 2.0 Zetec with Megasquirt and GSXR750 Throttle Bodies. I am expecting with all parts including silicon hoses and wideband O2 sensor that mine will cost around £1000.

I gained nearly £800 from selling my old engine, bike carbs, Megajolt and exhaust so am well pleased.

Your costs will vary depending on what route you take for ignition and fueling. The conversion can be done much cheaper if you source a Ford ECU for ignition and use carbs for fueling.

It may be worth finishing with what you have and drive it for a year. If you feel the need for more power you can spend the latter part of the year reading up and sourcing parts for the swap. I would recommend thinking about the work involved in the swap beforehand though. If you create you engine loom separately and join your main loom with a multiplug it will make any engine swap easier.

The only other problem swapping from a Pinto to a Zetec gives is the hole in the side panel where the exhaust exited.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Morten
I'd stick with the Pinto as all the work has been done, the pinto is a nice torquey engine compared to the zetec.

I haven't compared torque figures but I doubt that a 1.6 Pinto would give more torque than a 2.0 Zetec. It certainly won't be anywhere close on BHP figures or in real performance on the road.

Summer's here!!!!

mark chandler

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Throwing myself into days long gone by I had a 2.0 cortina and my mate had a 1.6gt capri.

On the flat not a lot of difference, on hills I pulled away.

1.6gt capri engine was in essence a 1.6 pinto with larger valves and a hotter cam which gave 88bhp, 2.0 was same cam and valves but worth 98bhp.

The seat of pants feel was however of more interest, the capri felt more willing and free reving so although a little slower felt more sporting.

If its all built and dressed I would run the 1.6 lump, more power is swap the bottom for a 2.0l if still unhappy then spend money.

NB/ I ran a 2.0 with large valves head work and standard cam which gave 135bhp and that felt very fast in the old days....

Regards Mark

02GF74

posted on 14/1/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur T

BUT even though it has a high lift cam and ported & polished head Bigger valves and the rest i can not stop thinking that i should just put in a Zetec in now before i finish the car. because a Zetec is better power to weight...

I'll add my 2p worth, if that

why do you want to change it? If you had bog standrd pinto then fitting stfd zetec will be an improvement but you may have similar power already.

I reckon that parts for pinto will be cheaper and less of them, more valves in zetec but they will last longer due to improvemtn in materials.

Is SVA emissions an issue? then you'd need pre 95 if you want to go no-cat test.

I guess if money is avaialable, I'd go for zetec (re: my post - I want to keep low profile of bonet so dohc/ohc engines are too tall for me).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.