Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury roll bar??
Alez

posted on 18/12/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Fury roll bar??

Hi All,

My Fury doesn't have a roll bar:

I want to install one and would like to know the options. I'm after the easiest solution (bolt on rather than weld type maybe?) since I'm not a builder, also do you know if Fisher / BGH Geartech has a roll bar for the Fury? I'd rather buy that so that installation is easier. I don't mind paying a bit more for a simpler solution, bolt on or weld type.

Ideas or comments?

Thanks!

nick205

posted on 18/12/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you're fitting one for the safety aspect then get it welded into the chassis.
stevebubs

posted on 18/12/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yes; Fisher / BGH do a bolt-in one

You'll probably need to trim the rear deck, though

http://gallery.cantcatchme.net/thumbnails.php?album=10

bigbird

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
roll bars

There are various bolt on styles available. Because your car has doors, the rear tub is a different shape from the spyder and will have to have cut outs made in the rear body for a bar to fit. Those speakers might also be in the way of the bracing arms which come forward into the cabin on a Fury roll over bar.
If you are tall, and the car does not have lowered floorpans, then your head might be higher than the bar which defeats the purpose. If you fit a taller bar, then your hood will not fit without modification.
However one advantage would be that your seat belt mounting points will be raised ( with a bar fitted ) whish will stop your spine from being compressed if you were in an accident. as the boot floor mountings are too low on the " pre- SVA" cars. Hope this helps
Fisher can supply you with a bar, as can I ( Scottish agent )Just let me know.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigbird

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
If you're fitting one for the safety aspect then get it welded into the chassis.

Welding one in will not be easy as your boot floor is GRP and this would have to be removed to get to the steel strengthening plate underneath...which is designed for a bolt on bar.Your car does not look like you intend racing, so I would not recommend welding the bar in. The race cars use a full cage and are different in many respects to a road/trackday car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 18/12/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you are a midget I would also recommend speccing a taller than standard roll bar. I think the standard is 44cm and would recommend 50cm minimum. More if you are lanky and/or with seat runners, comfy seats etc.

- Jim

Alez

posted on 18/12/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all very much.

In view of your useful comments, I'll get a standard Fury bolt on roll bar. This is because I plan to install a hood very shortly. I don't do many track days and don't use the car much on the road either. My seats are thin and I'm very short as well (almost a midget, Jim ), even if my head is a little higher than the bar (which I don't think will be the case), the bar should still take the worst.

Actually the thing I'm most interested in is headrests but I thought I'd install the roll bar first. That way I get the flexibility to fit the headrest to either the seats or the rol bar. Plus, with the roll bar only, I can already do a track day which is coming up soon (I need to hurry up with this), as I'll need to wear a helmet anyway that's reasonably safe already.

Thanks for the useful pictures Steve, you seem to have useful pictures for all my Fury needs. As you can see, I still don't have the hood sorted.. but some christmas holidays should help that.

I wish I had known about Bigbird a little earlier, I spent last week in Glasgow but I'm back in Madrid now. Bigbird, I'll be sending U2U shortly so you let me know what you have

Cheers,

Alex

PD: I attach a picture, entitled "the midget who wants a roll bar and giant (previous owner) who couldn't be bothered"

[Edited on 18/12/07 by Alez]

jimgiblett

posted on 18/12/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ooops

I'm 5'10" so not exactly lanky and have just ordered my 50cm rollbar from Fishers.

My mate had his hood modified for a higher roll bar for not much money.

- Jim

stevebubs

posted on 21/12/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez

Actually the thing I'm most interested in is headrests but I thought I'd install the roll bar first.

My std rollbar has some mounting holes that are perfectly positioned for bolting headrests

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.