Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: This months CKC mag - MNR
rb968

posted on 28/7/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
This months CKC mag - MNR

Don't know if this has been posted already but just picked up this months CKC magazine in Tesco and it has a 5 page write up on 2 MNRs and owners and a bit about the company. In case anyone is interested.
Rich

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 28/7/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a chance of a scan for those of us on the other side of the pond?

Cheers,
Joao

TimC

posted on 28/7/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the article is okay without saying a great deal.
There seems to be a few familiar cars and faces from here in each issue of CKC these days. I'll buy a beer at the next show for anyone who can spot me.

coozer

posted on 29/7/08 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I had a read in Tesco also, don't buy it, waste of cash.

I have a sneaky suspicion they (or someone else!) ran that feature years ago and its just a blatant reprint. Some of the references are well out of date.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AdamCKC

posted on 31/7/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think you must have missed some of the detail during your speed-read in Tesco! Some of the references may well be historical on the basis that one of the two cars featured has been on the road for a couple of years. The second car had only been on the road for one month when I went to meet the owners and take the pics in June, bringing the MNR story right up to date when the magazine went on sale in July.

I would be interested to know which references you feel are out of date, though. I'm not being argumentative here - if there's something in the mag that's incorrect, I'd like to know!

Oh, and just to make the point, CKC never repeats features. We wouldn't expect readers to buy the magazine every month if we didn't write new copy every month!

Adam Wilkins
Complete Kit Car

[Edited on 31/7/08 by AdamCKC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 31/7/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, sorry, just picked it up again in Tesco last night and yes it is a new feature....
However I did pick up a kit car mag in there a few weeks ago and it was a really old feature that I'd seen before...

Not sure which one so, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AdamCKC

posted on 31/7/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
No offence taken! We work hard on producing fresh copy for each issue, so hopefully you'll forgive me for going on the defensive. But, as it turns out it wasn't CKC you saw with the repeated feature, there was nothing for me to defend

I'm glad you had another browse...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 1/8/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
hi steve the mag you where thinking of was kitcar mag, they did a complete reprint on a previous feature

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TimC

posted on 1/8/08 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
My view on CKC

Adam – it’s good to see you here. Since you are, I thought I'd hijack this thread and express my thoughts on how far the magazine has moved the game on. I hope you don't mind.

CKC has definitely come a long way. For years I refused to buy a kit car magazine because the 'copy' was just so ruddy poor. It was so bad that anyone remotely close (surely an oxymoron) to the 'LSIS' industry, i.e. a Locostbuilers regular, could read an article and make notes about what was plain wrong and what was out of date information.

I've bought the last two CKCs and I like the way that promotes a sense of the 'kit car community' by looking at build diaries, events and quotes from various web forums including this one. I also really enjoy the racing reports.

The articles are interesting enough to pass the time but Id really like to see it taken to another level in terms of the journalist's opinion of a kit/car. However, I understand that it's difficult to say that one kit is better than a rival as this risks alienating a source of advertising revenue. Similarly, I find the magazine still lacks a little is in its ability to draw the reader in. The tone is quite chatty, which is pleasant, but it fails to lock the reader (or me at least) into the experience of building and driving the machine. If you have ever read an article by Richard Meaden you should know exactly what I mean, at least in terms of the driving experience.

Anyway, I shall remain an occasional reader of CKC while my subscription to EVO and probably the Driver's Republic webzine continues to give me real value. That said, the improvement in the offering is impressive and both you and Ian Stent should be congratulated.

Right, coffee finished. Time to do some work.

marc n

posted on 1/8/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Would agree with Tim that the magazine has really moved forward since the takeover,

What becomes apparent from talking to Adam, Ian and Justin is they are real enthusiasts of the industry and seem to be trying to do something new

keep up the good work guys

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Agriv8

posted on 1/8/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Id still want an investigation on the Voting at the Newark Show, ( the best Kit car for under £500 )

Id heard that one had been planned but all officials were in africa trying to sort out the mess at the voting stations over there !!

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bassett

posted on 8/8/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look through of the magazine really liked both the cars and almost changed my mind for the new MNR front end and some nice things id like to look into that the owners had done a good job on. It was nicely written but just seemed to lack anything about the cars, the feel, driving etc. A bit max power but id like to see the specs of the cars to know what other owners are using/found the best. Think il buy it again althought its a trek to the local WHSmiths.
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.