Board logo

MOT pass
timcrasher - 5/4/04 at 03:00 PM

Hi Guys,
Just got back from from a successful MOT. I was seriously nervous on the way there, but the car sailed through.
Then the fun started. All the staff wanted a trash round the block, and known for my tendencies to show off I was somehow convinced into doing so !
So with the MOT done and dusted, its just the small matter of the SVA test on 21st April.

Hellfire - 5/4/04 at 03:33 PM

Good luck with SVA!

nick205 - 5/4/04 at 03:36 PM

Ready for the summer then!

Mk-Ninja - 5/4/04 at 03:42 PM

Well done Tim. How did you go on with the emisions.

Gordon

timcrasher - 5/4/04 at 05:07 PM

Hi, Gordon
I thought the emission test would be my downfall. The only bit that was touch and go was the lamda reading. The tester said that the cat was running a bit hot,but after a cool down and a retest it struggled through.
The tester was unsure about the readings and rang the ministy for advise. He was told that kit cars only have to pass a visible smoke test for MOT requirements. He was also told that the SVA stations are trying to help BEC's with the emission tests because they realise that it is not a realistic proposition for a bike to be tested as a car. So I am still a little nervous for the SVA. I guess I will have to wait and see.
My engine is basically the same as yours and I just have a cat fitted ( see photos ), and the emmission control system fitted.
What do you have fitted to your car?
cheers Tim

Mk-Ninja - 5/4/04 at 05:30 PM

Hi Tim

Ive just got a CAT on. No emissions gear.
I am taking it for its MOT on Thursday. Fortunately the test station is owned by my cousin so hopfully we can mess about with the mixture etc to see if we can get the desired effect. Fingers crossed

alister667 - 5/4/04 at 05:57 PM

Well done, all the best for April 21st!

It's a little odd - over here the MOT did not check my emmisions (at all). Probably because I'm going to be a 'Q' plate.
Bring on May!

timcrasher - 5/4/04 at 08:11 PM

Gordon,
Let me know how you get on with your mixture settings. I screwed mine in as far as they would go, and still allow for decent running. I think this is what may have caused my problems. I'm going to put them back to normal and recheck the readings.
Alister,
Good luck with your test, but I still hope I beat you to legality !!

alister667 - 6/4/04 at 08:39 PM

Tim - you may well do!
I was talking to a guy who I'm getting the cat off. He tells me that the delay between his intial SVA test and his retest was 1 month.

The MOT/SVA backlog in N. Ireland is just rubbish. I take it it's not that long in England/Scotland??

timcrasher - 7/4/04 at 06:28 AM

I booked my test 6 weeks ago.
I phoned the station and asked how long the waiting list was at the time. I was told 10 days, so I thought great lets get in there and get tested.
I then got a phone call from the tester about a week later to book my test and he told me that the wait had gone up to 5 weeks !
Apparently its to do with staff training and ammendments to the law.
But I'm booked now so I am begining to panic. Hope your test goes well
Cheers,Tim

Hellfire - 7/4/04 at 11:26 AM

Tim, we know what you mean Rang SVA in February to be told waiting time was about 1 week. Rang back in March to be told it was a months wait, so banged application form in. Rang yesterday to see if they'd received it and was told waiting time is now 5 weeks