Board logo

Hydraulic to manual
phelpsa - 31/3/04 at 02:52 PM

Now I can see that I can use the gixer 1100 engine but I can't use the hydraulic clutch can anyone explain to me how the clutch release system works and how to convert it to a manual clutch.

Adam

locoboy - 31/3/04 at 03:32 PM

Phelpsa - why can you not use the hydraulic clutch? I am biliding with a CBR1000 engine and it has a hydraulic clutch, i bought a small mastercylinder with top mounted reservoir at stafford show for the pricely sum of £6. all i need now is a pedal for one end of it and a correclty threaded braided hose for the other

.......Simple enough unless im missing the bigger picture here?

phelpsa - 31/3/04 at 04:09 PM

On the gsxr 1100 engine the clutch release cylinder is too close to the propshaft/adaptor so it will not fit.

Adam

[Edited on 31/3/04 by phelpsa]

ChrisGamlin - 31/3/04 at 04:23 PM

I thought you worked out from the other thread that a 4" flange would clear it OK?

phelpsa - 31/3/04 at 04:34 PM

I meant it would clear the arm going into the engine, not clear the clutch release cylinder.

Adam

ChrisGamlin - 31/3/04 at 04:53 PM

Ah OK. in that case then it might be worth a post on the yahoo BEC list as I seem to remember some people converting to cable operation, possibly on Blackbirds

phelpsa - 31/3/04 at 05:16 PM

I have found out that you can convert it to cable clutch by using 600 Kantana parts. Does anyone know if this would make it fit.

Adam

timcrasher - 31/3/04 at 08:24 PM

Hi, Adam
It is posible to convert yours to a cable clutch, bike racers used to do it all the time.
You need the clutch actuating mechanism off something like a TL1000S or a SV650 ( I feel a trip to a bike breakers coming ! ).
These mechanisms are all more or less the same. The problem you will face is that you will need to fabricate somekind of bracket to hold the mechanism in place. You can usually use one of the bolt holes for the front sprocket cover. But you will struggle for space like you are doing already. There should be enough space for a drive shaft adapter and the slave cylinder, as some of the front sprockets for GSXR's are nearly 3 1/2" across once the chain is on.
Cheers, Tim

phelpsa - 1/4/04 at 10:53 AM

I will go to a breakers or bike scrap yard and have a poke around. Fabricating a bracket shouldn't be too difficult. There is a site I found saying it was a straight swap from a katana 600 as they are the same engine but smaller.

Adam

chris250 - 3/4/04 at 03:02 PM

any chance you could post up a 'how to' once you've worked out exactly how to do this?

i was hoping to do the same for my Gixxer kart but wasn't sure if it was possible at locost

phelpsa - 3/4/04 at 04:12 PM

Okay chris, but it may be a little while yet.

Adam

chris250 - 6/4/04 at 08:54 AM

no worries, i still need to find a set of 40mm carb's for my engine before i need to wory about putting it together

phelpsa - 7/4/04 at 07:51 AM

Chris, I think you could do it with the clutch activating mechanism of a TL1000S (see timcrasher's archive). I might go and have a look at one.

Adam

chris250 - 7/4/04 at 11:13 AM

well if you get it to work then i'll be all ears, and if you fancy it i'm pretty sure it'd make a good write-up and how-to guide. doub't we'll be the last people wanting to do this.

what year's your engine?

any go-faster bit's getting added before it gets put together?