Board logo

Yamaha R1 Gearbox issues
mad-butcher - 12/7/08 at 07:22 PM

Keep reading about these. but what exactly are the issues with the R1 gearbox
many thanks
Tony

fesycresy - 12/7/08 at 07:33 PM

Only heard of a couple of people with problems and I bet these are high mileage donor engines.

I would say the R1 has taken over the 'blade as the most popular engine. The more engines in use, the more issues you'll hear of, just because of the statistics.

fesycresy - 12/7/08 at 07:33 PM

Only heard of a couple of people with problems and I bet these are high mileage donor engines.

I would say the R1 has taken over the 'blade as the most popular engine. The more engines in use, the more issues you'll hear of, just because of the statistics.

r1_pete - 12/7/08 at 08:14 PM

It was a problem on early R1's, the change dogs wear and cause it to jump out of gear. Not epedemic proportions, and no particular pattern, I've heard and seen it on high and low milers, my 2001 gets ridden like I stole it every time I take it out and my box is fine... touch wood.

garage19 - 12/7/08 at 09:19 PM

My 99 road bike does this. It jumps out of second due to worn engagement dogs. Just stripped the engine out of it ths avo to rplace them. £250 in genuine Yam parts if you nclude gaskets!

yorkshire-engines - 12/7/08 at 09:48 PM

It was a problem on early R1's, the change dogs wear and cause it to jump out of gear. Not epedemic proportions, and no particular pattern

the above is true later 5JJ models were a lot better and the newer 5VY and 4C8 are spot on
iv only replaced these on grasstrack engines and they get a lot more abuse than bec owners will ever give there engine

cheer s malc

progers - 13/7/08 at 09:06 AM

I must concur with Malc. 5JJ engines onwards have good strong gearboxes, certainly much more reliable and longer lasting than blade ones. Of course there will be failures, you can't account for how an engine has been treated over its lifetime.

I have raced an '03 R1 for 3 seasons now with no failures, although I did replace the gearbox as part of a general re-build after the first season as it was showing signs of wear (it was a 2nd hand engine with 6k on the clocks when I first got it).

- Paul

Koss - 16/7/08 at 12:47 PM

If replacing gears it may be a good idea to have the dogs undercut.