Board logo

IVA Feedback
FrankP - 28/4/10 at 08:02 PM

Well I did the test today and it didnt pass.

Mostly small jobs some more edging he pulled the covering off the shocks ans said that it had to be designed to be able to put in it back on easily - the suppostion is that if it was removed to do work on you had to be able to put it back on easily...

It also failed on the radius of the robin hood silencer - it needs a cover.

GRP seats need to be covered in trim and need to be modified as it is difficult to adust the seatbelt.

Main problem was the engine got a bout of stage fright and would not run properly.
When it gets hot it stops wont run properly and seems to flood easily. The emissons were high despite the afr recording a 13.5.

I need to investigate why it stalls when it gets hot - today was the most work it has done. NOt sure if the edis box or the coilpack are overheating as it seems to loose its spark..

any way I am off to buy some trim....

cheers

frank

Wumps - 28/4/10 at 08:12 PM

All small ish things then.
Best of luck getting it through next time bud

stevebubs - 28/4/10 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrankP
Well I did the test today and it didnt pass.

Mostly small jobs some more edging he pulled the covering off the shocks ans said that it had to be designed to be able to put in it back on easily - the suppostion is that if it was removed to do work on you had to be able to put it back on easily...

It also failed on the radius of the robin hood silencer - it needs a cover.

GRP seats need to be covered in trim and need to be modified as it is difficult to adust the seatbelt.

Main problem was the engine got a bout of stage fright and would not run properly.
When it gets hot it stops wont run properly and seems to flood easily. The emissons were high despite the afr recording a 13.5.

I need to investigate why it stalls when it gets hot - today was the most work it has done. NOt sure if the edis box or the coilpack are overheating as it seems to loose its spark..

any way I am off to buy some trim....

cheers

frank

Ref the AFR - check for leaks in the exhaust system. Was it the hydrocarbons that were high?

deezee - 28/4/10 at 08:16 PM

What seats are they, that the IVA man is unhappy with?

cd.thomson - 28/4/10 at 08:24 PM

were did you get this test done?

karlak - 28/4/10 at 08:25 PM

Frank - I have a cover that was on my RH silencer (presumably when it was tested) - You saw mine when I popped round for the gearstick. They looked very similar exhausts.

You are more than welcome to use it if required, as I dont have it fitted anymore.

Cheers

[Edited on 28/4/10 by karlak]

FrankP - 28/4/10 at 08:26 PM

To answer a couple of queries

1: robin hood grp seats
2: test done at nottingham

cd.thomson - 28/4/10 at 08:26 PM

another reason for me to avoid nottingham

big_wasa - 28/4/10 at 09:06 PM

Any chance of a pic of your airfilter set up please ?

cheers

RMarine - 28/4/10 at 09:08 PM

Hi, was there a problem with the design of the kit itself, as you guys know i am building the same car... did you go with the cosworth engine or the zetec?

Bumble - 28/4/10 at 09:14 PM

Good effort Frank. Why Nottingham if you're in Flitwick??
I live in Dunstable and work in Flitwick so would be good to meet up one day & compare notes......I'm proabaly 3 - 4 months from IVA.
Cheers,
Matt

T Rex - 28/4/10 at 09:36 PM

Not the end of the world, but as per my rant a few days ago if it was a westfield ,dax , gardner douglas or such like you would be waving that doucument like chamberlin tonight . Good luck next time.

loggyboy - 28/4/10 at 10:01 PM

quote:

GRP seats need to be covered in trim

Any idea what part of IVA hes using to insist on that?

Doofus - 28/4/10 at 10:02 PM

Well done Frank.
That sounds like a easily fixed fail.
I passed a week ago at notts. I used motorcycle front shock rubber gaiters to cover the shocks. They were acceptable to the tester that day.

Are you running an AIT sensor? It's a common problem with MS that heat soak sends the mixture lean when you're on idle for a long time with no air flow. Check for AIT temps going over 30 deg. I shorted it out and set a slow closed loop set-up on a narrowband to pass. Lambda was spot on at 1.01

Best of luck next time. It's just a matter of time :-)

Paul.

cd.thomson - 28/4/10 at 10:02 PM

what is this shock gaiter issue? ive not heard of this

Doofus - 28/4/10 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T Rex
Not the end of the world, but as per my rant a few days ago if it was a westfield ,dax , gardner douglas or such like you would be waving that doucument like chamberlin tonight . Good luck next time.

Best not say what the tester said about factory Robin Hoods

Doofus - 28/4/10 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

I used a pair of rubber gaiters to cover the front shock sharp edges. Rubber corrugated tubes, that covered a multitude of sins. CV gaiters could have done the same job I suppose. Perhaps they looked less temporary???

Blackbird Rush - 28/4/10 at 10:17 PM

Nottingham?? surely Leighton Buzzard is closer to you??

My Dax supplied light bars exempted most of the front suspention from the exterior projection tests , the tester actually commented on what a good idea they were and that he wondered why other manufacturers didn't do the same.

James - 28/4/10 at 10:37 PM

My LoLocost (same as Robin Hood presumably) silencer passed SVA.

I put rubber herrinbone trim all around the leading and trailing edges, this seem to be enough.
It's never melted either!

Cheers,
James

James - 28/4/10 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

The platform adjuster ring can be a problem.

I fitted a ring of (IIRC) inner tube rubber around the adjuster then neatly covered this in tape. Passed SVA ok.

Cheers,
James

SteveWalker - 29/4/10 at 07:19 AM

Assuming that the RH silencer is similar to the design they used 10 years ago, it has a "sharp" edge all the way around both ends of the can - my push-on, metal reinforced rubber edging has only just been changed this year.

40inches - 29/4/10 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
My Dax supplied light bars exempted most of the front suspention from the exterior projection tests , the tester actually commented on what a good idea they were and that he wondered why other manufacturers didn't do the same.

Was this IVA or SVA? My understanding of IVA regs is that ALL of the suspension is now subjected to the sphere test and the front bumper is not taken into account

Blackbird Rush - 29/4/10 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Was this IVA or SVA? My understanding of IVA regs is that ALL of the suspension is now subjected to the sphere test and the front bumper is not taken into account

IVA, i actually had covers on all the nuts etc but the tester commented on the fact that they were a good idea both for exempting the bits below it and also somewhere to put the indicators and side lights.

40inches - 29/4/10 at 08:58 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

IVA, i actually had covers on all the nuts etc but the tester commented on the fact that they were a good idea both for exempting the bits below it and also somewhere to put the indicators and side lights.

Good times

Marcus - 30/4/10 at 11:32 AM

I have one of the RH silencers and went to SVA with the metal reinforced trim round the edges. The tester failed it on that (amongst other things) as he said it would melt and fall off. In the end i slitted some 8mm copper tube and glued it on the edges. He liked that idea and it's still on 6 years later.

loggyboy - 8/5/10 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

GRP seats need to be covered in trim

Any idea what part of IVA rules hes using to insist on that?

Anyone?

[Edited on 8/5/10 by loggyboy]

eznfrank - 8/5/10 at 05:57 PM

The only thing I can imagine he's referring to is U-trim on the return edge as opposed to padding?!?!